Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1990k5fan, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

Okay a few days ago, my truck began making this weird noise. Over the last few days the noise has gotten louder and louder. It is like a high pitched rattle every time I go to slow down and use the break. Some times it happens just when Idling.

At first I thought it was something inside the interior but I've checked almost everything I can think of. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

I think you gotta be a little more specific it's tough to diagnose problems over the keyboard.

3. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

It is like a high pitched rattle or weird sounding squeak that starts when I begin to slow down. It sounds like something is loose in the suspension or something. I can sometimes get it to do it when in park if I rev the motor up high. While the rpms begin to fall it makes the noise too.

Ill try and investigate some more today.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

if you have stock manifolds on it still, check the little heat shields that are around them, mine rattle sometimes.

5. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Yeah if the noise seems to occur only at certain rpm's or resonance levels it sounds like a loose part rattling get someone to help you listen for it while you make the noise happen.

6. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

I still have the stock manifolds so I'll check that. It sounds like the noise is coming from the back left side of the truck?

7. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Well if it happens while in park and in drive and is coming from the back left side it doesn't sound like a drive line problem to me. I'd guess you have something that came loose. The only thing I can think to do is get someone to help you track it down. Let me know if you figure it out.

8. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Is it a real loud noise? You said its been getting louder and louder but I'm still guessing its something quite, barely noticable? I wouldnt worry about it but it does sound like something is loose somewhere.