Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird noises... Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 30, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, first weird noise... whenever I take off, it feels like my rear end kind of rumbles or knocks a little bit, then its fine again. I think theres some play in the driveshaft, would that cause anyhting like that?
    2nd, when i hit 3rd gear (sm465) it kinda makes a windy whining sound... like there wind blowing in the rear tailgate.. but if i put in the clutch or let off gas, it goes away? I just noticed the 2nd noise tonight, but the first problem has been around for a while. Thanks!

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I had that whining sound that quit when I took my foot off the gas, it was because my rear differential was low on oil. I have also heard that sometime a diff. will do that shortly before it goes out. I think you should pull the cover and look it over, then fill with a good oil and see if it helps with the noise.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well if its a gov-loc /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. but if yur runn'n 10 bolts and those size tires /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. if you can move your driveshaft up and down and side to side by the diff, you need to tighten up your yoke\pinoin nut, mine came loose, i only realized it was loose after i blew it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No, I'm running open differentials... and I checked again this morning, and there isn't anymore play in the driveshaft.. i guess the mechanic fixed that when he rebuilt my t-case. Anyway, i filled it up with fluid, it was missin' bout 4/5 of a quart... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    So maybe thatll help... my diff leaks from the pinion yoke (is that where the driveshaft conects to the diff?)

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea thats wehre they connect, mine leaked there really bad too, to the point everything in that area will never rust out if you know what i mean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, its all coverd with 80\90w. same with my slip yoke by my t-case, damn thing slung oil everyware and now the cab will never rust, along with a few lines on the frame /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif