Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Oil Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tkjimmy, Mar 4, 2001.

1. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

Alright, I will try and explain. I have a weird oil leak coming from the harmonic balancer and crank. When I pull off the bottom pulley, oil comes out. I can put my finger back in the hole, and I can feel that the oil is slipping through where the crank key slides through the balancer. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so..............how do you fix it. Any help would be great, as this is slinging oil all over the front of my new engine. Thanks.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

You are supposed to put a sealer in there....Did you do that? If not clean the parts and reassemble with a light coat of high tack or a silicone sealer between the balancer and the crank and also the crank key. Also if the balancer is not new and it has any grooves it will leak between the seal and balancer. You can get a speedy seal from NAPA to fix that problem. I don't know the numbers for this though.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I know a lot of people do put a sealer in this area to stop this type of problem. Question I have, did GM ever come out and say this was the fix? I put together a lot of sb V-8s and never had a leak in this area without putting any sealer in. I bought an 85 truck and had the oil leak but the dealer could never fix it. After getting tired of taking it back to the dealer I pulled it apart and put some silicone in the area myself. Never had another problem but I never had to take it apart either.

Smitty

4. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member