Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird oil pressure?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeremyK5, May 21, 2003.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What would cause my oil pressure to go up 10psi by letting off the gas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It happens at highway speed when the engine is under load and I let my foot completely off the gas. It goes from 20 to 30 psi. Average cruising pressure is 25psi, and idle is 5psi. This is a mechanical gauge, and I even checked it with 2 others.

Any ideas?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thrust bearings are bad. The crank in walking forward and back. Couple things can cause this. Installing the harmonic ballancer with a Hammer is a biggie. Torque converter not seated corectly and put a lot of presure on them when trying to bolt up the tranny. Pinched tranny lines causing a High pressure problem in the converter can also cause it. It pushes the converter hard against the crank.

Might be able to fix it with a set of main bearings if the crank isn't in too bad of shape.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Not enough oil in the engine can also cause symptoms like this too. So check your oil if you havent already...

4. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, the oil is full&fresh, and no pinched tranny lines.

The block was rebuilt by the PO about 15,000mi ago, I have no idea of the quality though.

There aren't any knocking sounds, and I can easily spin the tires (35") around a turn, so right now the only symptom is the oil pressure.

What I'm trying to say is- Is this something that has to be fixed right away, or can I put it off for a month or so without much risk of something drastic happening?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I had a Legit rebuild motor do the same thing with about 50k on it. If the PO hammerd that ballancer on it does in the thrust bearings.