Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird popping sound after 14b swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Apr 22, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Normally its fine but if I give it enough gas or its under load I hear this popping sound that sounds like its coming from the drivetrain somewhere. I'm guessing its a u joint but i put it went in fine I didnt have to force it or anything. I could just put in another ujoint but those conversion ujoints are little pricey to swap out if its not the problem. I looked at all the teeth and they aren't chipped or worn or anything. Its govloc btw. Any ideas?

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling it's the govebomb loading and unloading on you. Don't worry about it though, as it will self destruct eventually and you can put in a real locker:p:

3. lochenjons

Well ok...thats not good. I dont think the 14b camse out of a truck that old either, I wouldnt think a 14bff govloc would give out that easy. I know the 10b ones are weak but I thought the 14b were stronger. Is there anyway to see if this is the problem? Besides putting in a locker and putting in a lot of $$$. I dont ahve the money, time, or motivation to swap out the govloc for a locker right now. I govloc is fine with me as long as it still works

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I think you got a rear end that is going out. I HATE govlocks. It may last you a good while yet but my guess it'll go in the next year or so. Do you wheel your truck? If so then maybe anytime then. If you have a bud that can set the gears up for you I'd suggest getting an open carrier and rebuilding the chunk. That would only cost you the cost of the carrier and maybe a six pack for the gear set up.

5. lochenjons

If I swap out the govloc for a detroit I would have to get a new carrier and set up the gears like you said. The teeth looked fine so I'm guessing I could still use those. I dont know anyone that could do it or help me with it.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You have any wheelin buds with this knowledge? Yes you can reuse your gears, all you'd need is a carrier. If you dont have the $$ for a Detroit at this time then thats fine if you just need this on the road. I don't think I'd like a Detroit in my daily driver unless I knew my tires held steady pressure (not airing up then down to wheel then up then tweaking so it drives better etc) I dunno, maybe I'm jus whinning. Good luck with it but those really are the only options I see (unless you buy another 14 bolt- which is not out of the question)

7. lochenjons

Nope. Its defiantely not a DD, but I do take it on the road every so often to do a little mall crawlin and driving down to trails and whatnot. What happens with the detroit with the change in tire pressure?

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

When you have a detroit, as long as you are on the gas it wants to turn both back wheels. The problem arrives when you let off the gas and you have different tire pressure in the rears. The truck will wanna jerk to one side which requires steering correction. As soon as you apply the gas again the truck will wanna jerk in the other direction, again requiring steering correction. It's a constant case of steering correction when the tires aren't perfectly matched in pressure. Not to mention in wet conditions it could easily get outta hand with the rears breaking loose and spinning you out.

9. lochenjons

Is there anyway to tell for sure (or kinda close at least) if it is indeed the govloc or something else?

10. lochenjons

Ok wow. Its not the rear end. I thought for sure it would ahve had to be since that was the only thing that changed. But its actaully my truck backfiring but a really weird sounding backfire. I'm gonna check the air mixture screws on the carb and see if taht helps any