Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by savagek5diesel, Jan 2, 2007.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

well, a couple weeks ago the radio in my jimmy started doing somemthing weird. It works but theres no audio output unless i toggle my glowplug switch... had me baffled for a while because ide jump into the truck, key on, hit the GP switch and i'm like "sweet, my radios workin' again!" then once the truck is started i'm like "crap" but today i figured out that the GP switch was toggling the audio. So does anybody know where to start looking for this problem?

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yeah, separate the radio power from the GP switch.

Start from both ends. Find your radio power at the fuse box and then find the power wire on the radio. Trace both back until they meet, probably at the GP switch, and run the power to one of them elsewhere.

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

found problem

well i got around to searchin' fer the audio problem and after checking every speaker, i pulled the deck out, popped off the RCA cable for the amp and it started working. tried a new rca and it still silenced the audio. this is odd because i've had my amp unpowered for a long time and the RCA's were the culprit, and how the RCA cables are related to the manual GP switch has got me stumped. now i've atleast got audio, but no more subs for awhile.