Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Question: PO Vehicle Disposal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ_Overdrive, Dec 3, 2005.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Have a disposal question. Thinking about purchasing a Burb for the engine and trans. After that, either drop it off at the salvage yard or part out. So, if I part it out and the rear 14bolt FF is gone as well as most of the good body stuff how do I get rid of it?

I know how to apply for a salvage title but the physical disposal is the question. I mean, it's not like you can just toss a 2000 to 3000 chassis and body into the recycle bin.

Sorry if this question seems trivial, just trying to work out my options before I get "stuck" with junk.

Thanks!

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

cut a piece off and put it in the trash can every time they pick it up.... itll be gone in a year or so...

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I'd call a salvage yard and see if they can pick it up. There may also be companies that buy scrap metal. If you had a flat bed trailer, you could put it on there before you pull the axles. It would be easier to pull if off the trailer without axles than it would be to put it on.

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

If its the two wheel drive one you've been chasing on the "other" board, I'd be interested in buying the whole leftover package, complete rolling body. I've yet to see pics of this rig, but it sounds interesting.
    Thanks, Jimbo

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i had parted out 2 vehicles, to the point that the only thing that was left was the cab and frame.

the sawzall is your friend.
    i cut it up on a sunday afternoon, it was gone by mid morning on monday.
    the junk guys were pretty much fighting for it.

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Cut it up slowly and throw a piece away at a time. It is no problem around here to off a wreck. We normally cut a car into 3 or 4 pieces and throw them into a pickup and go to the dump.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No problem here at all!....

There are several ways here to dispose of your leftover "shell" after cannibalizing parts..I've sawed them into truck sized peices,and hauled them in my truck,or borrowed a car trailer and hauled them to the scrapyard fully intact myself..if I lacked a truck or trailer,there are many "Junk Cars and Trucks Wanted" ads in every newspaper,Craigslist,even tacked up on telephone poles in my area!..many say "No Title-No Problem!"...

Scrap is up to 85 dollars a ton here now,and all the guys with ramp trucks are making good money for a change..and they can drag a carcass with no axles on the truck just as easy as ones with wheels!..most of them have steel beds,or simply put planks or plywood under the shell while winching it on..

I got 225 bucks a few months ago for my 74 K20,AFTER taking out the motor,transfer case,bed,and seats,and threw another junk fleetside bed on it and filled it with all the other steel trash in my yard!..weighed 20 lbs less than the last time I drove it over the scales empty..6200 lbs!..X 75 bucks a ton = 225 bucks! :D ..

8. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Yep, you guessed it. I have a line on another one as well Jimbo. I will let you know, I don't really want anything other than the trans and engine. Would be cool if we could work something out as I would be bringing it to AZ, then you could pickup to NM.

Thanks for all the info guys. We'll see how it goes.