Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Dec 14, 2006.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I drive a Thomas 77 passanger school bus and go over a Load zoned bridge. sign says the limit is 10,000 lb single or tandem axle. The GMVW listed on the specs is a bit over 33000 lbs before my 60 to 70 students. Is this safe? Can anyone explain how they figure out the Load limits in Lamans terms?

2. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Never mind. I brought it up through the school and they freaked out. They have been covering that route for years and no other driver has ever questioned it. Brownie points for me!!!

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

lol well good for you, you would think that someone with 70 lives in his hands would notice something like that... give your fellow bus drivers a good lecturing. I read your question earlier but I really have no idea where they get the numbers... I guess they just take the materials it was built with and the length of the bridge make an estimate.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It's pretty complicated how that bridge max load number comes about. Lots of Engineering Statics and Strengths of Materials to get to a max load that doesn't move. Then they break out the Dynamics book to figure out what it'll hold in terms of a moving load (hint: usually much less than the max static load).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  5. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

your gmvw is gross max vehicle weight which is the maximum your vehicle can safely weigh fully loaded. You are quite a bit below that with the empty bus. Probably still far below that even with a full load of students. You are probably still over the 10000 max limit for the bridge though.