Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird shock mount I need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Jun 2, 2004.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 88 it already had the 14b FF in rear. On the driver side rear shock, there was a piece of steel welded on to top of frame rail and the upper mount of the shock was mounted there. I new it looked bad and sure enough on the second trip on the trail the weld broke and I was minus one shock.

The problem I have is that there is no apparrent mounting hole in the usual frame location i dont want to redo it the way it was as that obviously did not work, I could drill a hole in frame and mount there but not sure exactly were to drill. The passenger side rear shock is mounted on the normal frame position.

Anybody seen this before, any help would be appreciated.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I lowered both of my rear upper shock mounts to the frame on my 88 burb. There is an indented portion of the frame right below where that shock mount tab was. That is the groove my new mount hole are in. I can get a pic tomorrow if you want. It seems to be working great for me. You even be able to get to the back side without dropping the tank or anything.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the K5s had the shock mount above the frame, i think they had a bracket rivited to the top of the frame. the trucks frame is formed to fit the shock body. you could drill a hole but you would have to space the shock out an inch or so.

4. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you could drill a hole but you would have to space the shock out an inch or so.

[/ QUOTE ] Or just reuse the factory stud that should be through the shock. It will space it out enough.