Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Sound and Vibration when I let OFF the gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Apr 30, 2003.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a weird sound and vibration when I get off the gas on the highway, only above 50 but mostly 65.

My only Idea's are that I don't have enough spline engagement in the T-Case or The rear axle. I swapped yokes on the axle but I was very carefull to only torque it down to 82 ft lbs like the manual said. I talked to a friend of mine and he said that I could have messed up the crush sleve.

I will post a pic of my Spline engagement and let ya'll look.

Opinions? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You have 2 options- either let it get worse- or try to nail down the problem....if it's what I think it is- DONT let it get worse...

again- as in my last post about this- this is the short version- do a search by my user name from about 8 months ago- "jake brake" or something like that was the title-

Long story short- my pinion nut came off in my hand- the vibs and noise started like yours- high speed- only in 4th gear- 1/2 throttle to no throttle etc...as time progressed and I tried to figure it out- it got worse- to the poing where it did this in every gear- regardless of speed- and also full throttle- SCARY to think my driveshaft cudda fallen out at 60mph etc...

Check the pinion nut- to be safe- replace it anway along with that gasket or whatever the heck its called......

Brandy

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Brandy,

So it is ok to take the yoke on and off? That little seal thingy that goes behind has weights on it, do you think that could have something to do with it? I will check the tightness to be sure.

I know what you mean about losing a D-shaft, I didn't check the u-joint to make sure the clips were in and I lost both caps doing about 65 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif which took out my T-Case /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Pic of Slip Yoke:

[​IMG]

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but the slip yoke should be in the transfer case a lot more than it is /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

So could the lack of spline engagement cause this?

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but the slip yoke should be in the transfer case a lot more than it is

[/ QUOTE ]
    He might have the transfer case lowered... mine stuck out a little farther once I lowered mine..

One other thing you might have overlooked.. it the Transmisison/transfer case rubber mount... it could be deteriorated...
    If you did the u-joints... I'd try the mount next.. I replaced mine on the white 89.. it took alot of the vibration/noises away..
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Hummm... didn't think about the mount... It didn't look too bad but it did sit at the yard for awhile, I might try that. U-Joints are new and still good.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check the u-joints again. My supra was doing that and I swore up and down it was a bad Diff. Found a diff and the first thing I did in the swap was unbolt the drive shaft. Low and behold I find a bad u-joint that was locked up.

10. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Mine was U-joint with those same issues. Looks like there is a lift kit on it? Mine drive shaft is out about that far with a 4" lift on it.

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Front or Back? Ya, I have 2.5" lift but the T-case isn't dropped.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is the angle of your driveshaft. Mine did that after I swapped in the 14bff. The pinion moved forward with the new axle and made the ujoint angles wrong. I actually had to raise the tcase back up to cure my vibs.

Mine did what yours is doing. Vibs at 50+ mph, mostly around 65ish though. I would feel the vibs when I was just trying to cruise at a certain speed and worse when I left off the gas totally and coasted.

13. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Ok I just checked the U-Joints and they came out good, my next step is to change the mount.

14. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Double check your pinion angles like mentioned before. When mine were off my u joints would vibrate at freeway speeds then let go with no other warning.

I also think that the slip yoke is too far out, Yikes! Lowering the transfer case is an easy to do job and cheap.

15. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Well I swapped the mount w/ No change /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dunno what to do, I don't think it's U-Joint related b/c it sounds like (if it was a standard) you took it out of gear and let the cluch out and slowly tried to put it in gear. That's a better discription of the sound. I swapped 10 Bolt for 10 Bolt and I actually moved it back a little (I know b/c my trac bars were just a little off from before) so if anything it should have helped my angle. There's not much vibration other than that time, well none I didn't have before.

A big Thank You to everyone who's replied so far! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

mine is doing almost that exact thing right now, my u-joints are less than 6 months old, but its still got me worried, i also gotta new slip yoke at the same time... need help

17. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Well I let a few people drive mine today and they all said that it's just the engine's vib's when the engine does the breaking that's rattling things.
    Those slip yoke's aint cheap are they? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

sounds like a crock of sh*t to me....

I'm tellin ya- check that pinion nut going to the rear axle........

if you don't you may be VERY sorry!

19. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok then, but what exactly is a pinion nut, and where is it?
    thanks

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mine does this too, but my one u joint is wrong. Autozone gave me one that doesn't fit my rear yoke. It slides back and forth and behaves just like a bad u joint.