Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Sound....Please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zx672, Oct 7, 2004.

1. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Got an 84 K5 and everything is great except a weird sound that happens ever so often when I slow down for a stop light, turn, etc. Sounds like a big "thud" and it seems to be coming from the transfer case or transmission. It "thuds" once or twice and then goes away, but it never vibrates. Just sounds like the transmission is downshifting on steroids. Wish I could explain it better for you guys..... Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mine does that too. Im pretty sure its just the driveline binding up on the slip shaft and unloading when you stop..No harm done...

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine does that too , I think its normal . However if I have it in overdrive , it won't downshift that you can feel , but be in the right gear when I get back on it . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Got an 84 K5 and everything is great except a weird sound that happens ever so often when I slow down for a stop light, turn, etc. Sounds like a big "thud" and it seems to be coming from the transfer case or transmission. It "thuds" once or twice and then goes away, but it never vibrates. Just sounds like the transmission is downshifting on steroids. Wish I could explain it better for you guys..... Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Slop a whole messa grease in there, it will hold you off for about 6-12 months.

It's caused by axle wrap changing the pinion angle.

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I would aggree except you stated it did it when you turn also. Make sure your front axle isnt moving back and forth on the leaf spring/pad. If your just sitting in the driveway and turn the wheel back and forth, do you hear it?