Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird speaker setup in the '91 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I removed the dash yesterday, eager to install the 3 1/2 infinity's I bought. What I found is interesting. There were no 3 1/2's already there. The spots on each end of the dash which look like they might hold a 3 1/2 don't have holes which line up. The only speaker in this truck appears to be something like a 4x10 in the middle of the dash. Anybody else have this setup stock? I'd like to use the 3.5's, but is there a change in my dash where brackets are needed for mounting?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 4x10's and 3.5's were standard for a long time in the full sizes.

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

So are those 3.5 locations supposed to not be a perfect fit? I know it does not matter too much with 3.5's as far as mounting them flush. But I don't know how I can fit a drill that close to the windshield to drill mounting holes. Also, the Infinity Reference's I bought appear to have come with capacitors in a small bag. Are these for creating my own crossover (adding a resistor)? The instructions with the speakers don't mention them.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

The resistors do work like a crossover keeping low frequency's out to protect the speaker. If I remember correctly you mount the as close to the speaker as possible on the possitive side of the wire. I had the same problem when installing my kenwoods up front. since I couldnt drill the holes I put tape around the ears to keep it from vibrating from metal to metal contact and set them in place. When you re-install the dash you should find that it actually contacts the speaker a little pushing the downward. That pressure holds mine in fine and keeps it from vibrating.

First time a tree limb bust the windshield take advantage and drill while the window is out :D

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Alright, i'll be re-wiring and installing these infinity's once I figure out the wiring diagram for the factory harness, and decide what stereo I want to install...the one in the truck is a clarion from 1995. Probably doesn't even work anymore, and if it does the RMS output is sure to be low.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It is not a resistor. You should be using a cap to block the lows. If you need to know the value of the cap to use just tell me the freq. you wish to have the cut off at and i will let you know

The holes in your dash need a bracket to fit the 3.5's. I have some in my garage somewhere i may be able to find for you.
    If you mount them without the brackets the magnet may hit your gauge cluster and will most definatly mess with your gauges electrically. I will look for the brackets today but it may be a few days before i can mail them out.....if you are interested

7. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Yes I am interested, I'll email you with my address and you can get back to me with where/how to send payment. Thanks a lot, I thought it looked awkward for a 3 1/2 to go there without a bracket. Again, thanks!

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

No problem. As far as payment is concerned.....don't care as i really have no need for them. I put 4.5's down in my kick panels. You can have them for free as long as i can find them.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4X10 in the middle of the dash ??? I'm think exturnal CB speaker.

10. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Installing 4.5's in the kick panels is interesting, what did you use to cut into the panel? I'd appreciate the brackets, and at least let me send you money for the s/h cost. The sound engineer for this truck (if there was one) could have placed the speakers in far better places...but I guess that is old news.

A capacitor came with the speakers, but not a resistor. I thought to wire in a true crossover/bass-blocker you needed a capacitor in series on the positive lead with a resistor running in parallel with the speaker? Is that not correct? If I can wire in the capacitor in series with the speaker and call it a day, that'd be nice and simple. Then it is just a task of finding a way to strap down the Cap so it doesn't bang around behind the dash when hitting bumps...zip ties are fun.

11. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

No, the speaker wire was running into the CD Player, still with the factory harness (whoever installed the cd-player used a harness adapter). There is no CB wired in the truck or antenna for one. The truck just seems to be a very option-less rig. There's no door speakers or rear speakers. The front/rear has no carpet or vinyl panels, just this rubber mat throughout the truck. The doors are the only place other than the dash which has paneling. It is bare-bone. Any tips for cleaning dust out of the back, anything wrong with spraying it out with a hose? I went through with a bunch of rags and simple green. This helped lots as the interior was covered with a film of clay-dirt. I will write down the option codes listed in the glove-box later and post them on here.

12. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Now that I think about it, there's metal vents cut into the lower corners of the doors. Was there an option to put 4x10's in the doors behind the door panel? There are two bolts I believe on the corners of these vents, must be holding something in there, now to figure out what.

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My '90 has the 3.5s in the dash. I'm guessing here but your dash I'm sure has the holes for the 3.5's but you probably don't have the brackets. Mine don't screw directly to the dash but have a small 3 legged bracket that screws to the dash. Then the speaker screws to it. I just changed my speakers out this past winter and I had to do some modifications. The new speaker holes would not line up so I had to remove the brackets and drill new holes. I would think these brackets should be fairly easy to find.

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I believe the larger hole in the dash was for a mono speaker. There is no way that I can figure to mount a 4x10 in the door. It's difficult to fit a 4.5 especially with power windows (which you don't need to worry about). And you are sooo right the speaker arrangement and dash and door layout is frustratingly limiting to speaker placement. It is the reason why I continue to consider a custom dash. I am planning on tube doors for the summer and definitely want more speakers!

15. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

It looks like I will return 1 set of the 3.5's I purchased, and keep the other set to install with brackets. My 6x9 speakers should return from the new owner of my wreck later this month, at which point I will consider installing an amp. The CD player in the truck now will have to go, however, so I am going by circuit city tonight to find a cheap mp3-cd player...otherwise I will just install a cheap CD player. The Clarion in the car ATM is from 1995 and has no wiring diagram, so I don't want to mess with it. Where can I find the wiring diagram for the truck? It would be nice to know what wires are what so I can label them and not use the stock harness.

EDIT: Nevermind I found a topic covering the wiring diagram. Sweet.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603&highlight=stereo+wiring+diagram

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well, you don't have a lot of wiring to be concerned with at this point. If I understand correctly there are no speakers installed yet. So those are out of the equation. Other than that, you have a hot wire (power all the time) and hot at ignition wire, and perhaps a wire to the light dimmer switch, and ground. Easy, easy. You can determine which is which with a test lamp.

The other wires will be explained with the deck you purchase. They will include power to the amp (called remote) and speaker wires.

17. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Right, I was interested in what colors the wires were on the truck stereo harness. That thread I posted above lists them in it and advices against wiring in the dimmer connection due to grounding issues, is this something to worry about? What sort of problems has this been known to cause?

18. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I've never bothered to use the dimmer myself, as it is so low it doesn't send a glare on the windshield. One thing I did find interesting was with my '89 burb they had...hmmm I don't remember the terminology, but the factory speakers were none polarized if that is correct (ie. no +ve/-ve). Again not of issue to you, just thought I'd mention it while you were looking at wiring diagrams.

19. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip!

20. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

That is what I used for my CB speaker. Just installed a factory 4x10 in there since mine came with the 3 1/2" Put some speaker wire and a plug on it to plug into the cb. Works great.