Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird steering noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BPS, Oct 10, 2002.

1. BPS

BPS Registered Member

I had some front brake work done a few weeks ago - calipers, pads, brake lines.

Since then I have a new sound - it sound like loud road noise - like when you drive on groved pavement. This occurs then I'm driving straight and gets louder as I turn to the left, if I turn to the right - like on a right curve, the noise goes away.

I tried just coasting to see if it was the brakes sticking but no difference in decel if I'm on a right or left curve. But it's very loud on a sharp left curve - sounds like a semi is beside me.

I checked to make sure the wheels are not rubbing - but no evidence of that, the steering is fine, no PS noise if I turn all the way right or left.

I'm starting to think it's the tires but I've had these on for 40K with regular rotations and so on.

Any thoughts?

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

You my friend have a bad wheel bearing probably on the right side inner. the way you described it as when you turn gives it away. sometimes you can grease them real good but usually you will have to replace it. Hope this helps!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I concur with Monte0172...

Sounds like someone forgot to torque the wheel bearings properly when servicing the brakes. I assume the rotors were turned as part of the job?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. BPS

BPS Registered Member

Yes - the rotors were turned -
    Thanks for the input - now I can go back to the shop and give them a hard time, as I had asked them to check the wheel bearings and I was told they were fine!

Bill