Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Steering Problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIgJon, Mar 20, 2001.

1. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

I have an unusual problem with the steering in my 72 4x4 Blazer. If I turn the steering wheel to the right, it stops at one and a half turns. Once I straighten out, I can then turn the wheel to the left almost three full turns. Its great for doing U turns, but if I have a sharp right turn to make I am in big trouble! I noticed that the front passenger side tire sticks out about 1 1/2 to 2" further than the drivers side. Are the Dana 44's offset like the rear 12bolt GM diff's or is this a possible problem?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok what I did to fix that was to adjust the drag link between your steering box and knuckel. This is how I adjusted it. I went to an empty parking lot then lossend the center sleve and started driving in a circle then the other direction. I turned the sleave several turns then retest the circle patern. I simply tried to make the circles the same size in bot directions. It seam to work for me know I can make a Uturn in eather direction. Oh ya I also replace the draglink with a new one and made sure the sleave was in the very center of both link ends.
    Oh and yes the front D44 is 3" longer than the rear 12bolt, 1 1/2" per side.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Neither axle should be offset (much) from the center of the truck. Both my front and rear axles are fairly centered in my Blazer...