Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird steering-worn box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey guys... tell me if this makes sense to you. I get a few inches of looseness in my steering. I've taken a look, and I see the steering bar turning into the gear box. But it seems as if it takes a bit before the gear box acutally causes any change in acutal steering. i looked for frame cracks, there arent any that would suggest gear box movement. Is it acutally the gears in the box worn, or could it be adjusted?

2. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I think I have the same problem. I have to turn the wheel about about 3-4" before anything starts to happen. Sometimes to keep the truck going straight I have to turn it so that the crossbar on the steering wheel is pointing down at my knee. It all depends on the road. If it tilts to the right I have to crank the wheel to the left and vise versa.

I've replaced my steering arm with a 4" arm and put on a new draglink but it didn't help. I've seen people swear by the Off Road Design steering brace and I was thinking of getting one of those next. I don't have any cracks either but I'm wondering if the frame is flexing a little. Either way, I should have a brace so I'll probably pick one up anyway.

Anyone know how to remidy our problem?

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Mine's the same way. I need to replace the steering box. I think I'm going to have a mechanic do it cause from what I understand, they're a b*tch to line up.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but if the frame was cracked.. or flexing... it would only star flexing as soon as you stressed it. Mine isnt stressing, just feels like the worm gear inside the box has worn out or something. If I spin the wheel fast from side to side, I can acutally hear a "clink". I think the clink is like the top of the worm drive hitting the other part.

Its acutally scary to drive the truck on Parkways, cause the truck is so wide and with the not so great steering.. its just plain dangerous.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure your bolts are all cranked down tight. I had three of mine back out a few years ago. Put some Loctite on and backed them up with nylon nuts. Alot cheaper than a new box. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim