Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Thing I Noticed.. Help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I was driving to get my check and was sitting at a light and my 73 K5 started to stall then came back it was so quick like a split second. I thought it was nothing to worry about cause it only happened one time.

I was on my way home from the bank and it did it again this time a tad longer. What the hell is going on here? The engine is basically new with like 2k or less on it.

I also notices that when I hit the brake I hear a hissing sound where the pedal is, is this something I should be concerned about? Im sure it is coming from the brake booster but why?

I have a ticking sound that I want to say it is the power steering pump but i havent ruled out the valves\rockers yet so any insight on this issue could help lots.

If anyone has time to help me figure out what these problems may be and the serverity of them would be great.

Im kind of anxious to hear what kind of responses I will get.

Edelbraock 1406 Ele. Choke
    Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

2. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

The ticking noise you are getting could simply be an exhaust manifold gasket. Mine was doing the same thing, thought it was the power steering pump or the rockers. Turns out the gasket from the engine to the manifold was cracked causing the ticking. Local auto store you can get a set for about 8 bucks and it'll only take about an hour or so.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

just seems so simple thought with my luck that it would have been something else. I got the percy's gaskets for the headers im hoping that it is the reducer gaskets.

Thanks for the insight.

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

the hissing noise when you hit the brakes, is it just one short hiss when you first press the pedal, or is it a long hiss any time your foot is pressing the pedal?

if short, probably ok, if long, you need a brake booster(vac leak from a crack in the diaphram)

5. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Does it tick when your idle?

6. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

A little one second dropout on an ideling engine is likely water in the float bowl..or something else that got in their. Those idle fuel passages in the carb are so small that it doesn't take much crud..or water to block them for a second or two. I'd throw in some fuel system cleaner/dry gas hope for the best....but...if you find a huge vac leak...like from the booster...idle will also get rough and might stall as well. If you find you have a vac leak, resolve that problem first.