Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird title question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duanel, Jul 27, 2006.

1. duanel

duanel Registered Member

what does your title call your blazer? My washiington title says I own a 73 chevy util (no mention of blazer) it also claims it is gold and white though the body is tan (the original color according to the rpo sticker) with a white top. (though in washington a rebuilt rig this old would be issued a regular title not a rebuilt title, so there is the chance it is a rebuilt)

2. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

My suburban is even classifies a UTIL , i think that is just a generic name for something that is not a truck, but not a van either....:doah:

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My blazer is a k10 blazer.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

accoding to the cop who pulled me over its an 84 blue and white station wagon:mad: as soon as he said that i respond with "WTH! its a blazer!!!!" lol

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

My 1987 Blazer says
    (yr)1987 (make) Chev (body type) 2dr (model) V10 (model description) V10 Blazer Surb
    My 1989 Jimmy says
    (yr) 1989 (make) GMC (body type) SW *station wagon* (model) VJI (model description) V15 Conv Jimmy

Ohio is so strange 1987 came from N.Dakota and the 1989 came from IL.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Mine was called a CarryAll.

7. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

Here in MI they are titlied as station wagons.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

WA will issue plates based on it being a truck or car, so that's where PART of our confusion comes in, that would have to be reflected in the title I'd imagine. Mine is a standard "car" plate (3 numbers, 3 letters) but I was told that at least in the past, it was owners discretion on things like Blazers, El Camino's and the like as to whether they were plated as cars or trucks.

9. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Title? What title:D

In Maine we don't need a title for anything over 15 years old. :waytogo:

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

My title says 1985 K10 UTILITY

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

GM called the Blazer a "utility". The Suburban started out life in 1935 as the Chevrolet Carryall, which became the Carryall Suburban as a trimline, I think, and eventually the "Carryall" was dropped.

If you look at a paper VIN decoder, the Chevy service manuals, etc, body code 8 is "utility", i.e. Blazer, and 6 is the Suburban, which was historically treated as a wagon. (Early 70's brochures call the Burb "the super wagon" =)) )

Various states lump the vehicles together differently; here in CA, you get "truck" plates for a pickup with an uncovered bed. Put a campershell ("topper", whatever you call them) and it's a "car". Blazers and Burbs, therefore, and modern sport utes, are lumped in the "car" category cuz they have tops. Something to do with whether you can use them for commercial purposes. [OTOH, my sixpack pickup came with car plates, but I didn't argue, cuz they're cheaper!]

Years get even trickier... many states title by year of manufacture, especially for older vehicles, rather than "model" year. My '74 was made in 1973 but *some* '74's were made in 1974, so it's hairy. You'll see titles now and again calling a full-topless rig ('75 model year) a "1976 Blazer" which would drive most of us nuts as it's "wrong."

As for the colour, that was prolly put in by some idiot at the dealer or the DMV who looked at it, if you're lucky, through a window in the parking lot or something.

I find that as long as the VIN matches and the name is correct, the title is as good as it needs to be, for purposes of satisfying Johnny Law and any prospective buyers :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the C-K-R-V-10-1500 thing is covered here:

http://www.slosh.com/cars/blazer.html#alphabet

-- A

12. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

I dont know how they do it here in Va. My 87 saids its a Blazer, but on the title for my 88 it saids it is a 2dr sedan.:eek1:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

weird!..

I think many RMV employees simply copy what was on the original title when transferring them to new owners,whether it was worded correctly or not!..I've had titles for my trucks that said "K5" as far as the model,and one said "Utility"--another was listed as "station wagon"...my 74 K20's title said "Wideside" in the "model" box!..my other GMC said "K1500 Fleet"..my Ford Countour simply says "Count"..:p:

The best "boner" award goes to the woman who typed "Chevette" on my 72 Chevelle station wagons registration!-:surepal: -I didn't notice it until a cop brought it to my attention after he stopped me shortly after I registered it--it was on a 69 Suburban 4x4 chassis,and that alone was bad enough as far as attracting attention!--I got used to waiting a half hour when I got pulled over ,when cops wanted to ensure it was legally registered..after awhile they all knew me and the car,and didn't hassle me anymore..I never bothered to have the registration changed--they wanted to charge ME 15 bucks for a new one!..for THEIR mistake!:mad:

14. Metrodps

I think diesel4me has it
    "I think many RMV (DMV) employees simply copy what was on the original title when transferring them to new owners,whether it was worded correctly or not!.."

In Ohio you can get Truck plates on anything if you pay for them as they issue them by weight the more the truck weighs the more it cost. The advantage to truck plates in Ohio is you can park in a no parking zone for up to 15 mins for "deliveries" so be sure you have something saying Delivery in progress.
    It would be interesting to hear what other states title body style as.

15. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

When I went to the DMV to get my 88 Blazer titled, the clerk asked me what kind of vehicle it was, she even made me spell it out for her. When I looked at the title, it read something like "1988 Chevrolet K 5 Blazer Wagon". Close enough I guess... Also, I have a 1987 Buick Grand National and the title simply reads "1987 Buick 2dr". Lastly, one night I was pulling into my neighborhood in my old beater 91 Dodge Dynasty and a cop was behind me following closely. I pulled in front of my house and parked. The cop then put his lights on as I was getting out of the car. He told me that my car was registered as "blue" and he just wanted to make sure I had all the paperwork, even though the car was all "white". I had the car titled about a month prior. When I got in my house I checked the title and it said "white". I still wonder about that to this day.

16. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Station Wagon......

17. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

My 1977 blazer had a NY title, which is 100% legit, that calls it a suburban. :rolleyes:

I KNOW it isn't a "re-title" by someone, the vin plate says not to install a camper on the truck, as do all blazers. I think the non-matching name is why I couldn't sell the frame, which was in NICE shape, on eGay. :mad:

18. Metrodps

Called probable cause he was on a fishing expedition.... looking for DUI, Drugs, DWB ect......... my favorite was no license plate light.. :doah: you wouldn't believe all the bust I got off of those stops.