Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Transmission Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,
    Well, I just finished replacing the water pump on my 78K5 cause the old one was leaking. I also fixed an electrical problem of exposed wires where the starter wires go into the small tube between the headers and frame.
    Well, after refilling all the fluids, the transmission (TH350) doesn't want to shift like it's supposed too. It won't shift into 2nd until around 45 mph, which is high, and once it gets there, it doesn't want to downshift. Now the damn thing worked fine before I changed the pump, so what do ya'll think is going on? It's got me stumped. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long post.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like the vacuum line for the modulator got knocked off, probably when the wires were getting monkeyed with [​IMG]
    Trace the vacuum line back up from the tranny towards the motor and you should find the disconnected culprit.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, I agree with Rene, check for vacuum lines and also, make sure you hooked the wires back up right after fixing them...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Just an update guys. I found the leak, there was a small rubber hose at the back of the manifold that connects to a hard line that was knocked off. Wouldn't have seen it without removing the air cleaner. Put it back on and everything works fine now. Thanks guys!

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

5. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Them damned vacuum lines'll get ya every time.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>
    [​IMG]