Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird true story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wes88k5, Apr 24, 2000.

1. wes88k5

wes88k5 Registered Member

First off I want to say sorry I had to put this post on the main page so everybody would see it. This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me. I was driving home from college in Milledgeville, GA when I got pulled over for speeding by two cops. I got a warning and then they asked if they could search my Blazer for drugs. I agreed knowing that I had nothing to hide. Well, the one guy finds an empty can of Altoids Mints with the white powder in the bottom. He asked if it was cocaine and of course I told him it wasn't. Well he wanted to test the powder so I agreed. Then the guy tells me that it is showing a reaction for methanphetamines. I could not believe it. To make a long story short they took me to the Eatonton police station and got the drug dog to sniff my car and stuff. After an hour or so of waiting they finally bought a new box of altoids and tested them. Of course the test came back the same, so they appoligized for the "inconvenience" and let me go. It scared the hell outta me. Sorry for the long story but I had to share. DO NOT CARRY ALTOIDS IN YOUR BLAZER! by the way one of the cops did comment on how he liked my blazer and asked about it

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hope they let you take the new box of mints home with you!

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I would've told those cops to shove those Altoids up their a$$es. Just being safe I guess though.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

That's weird all right....... here's one for you... My freind failed a drug test for a new job because they said he tested positive for herroine, he denied it and they tested him again with the same results, as they got to talking he mentioned he had a couple lemon poppyseed muffins that morning for breakfast and they told him that was probably it because poppyseeds test the same as herroine. They had him come back the next afternoon and he passed it with flying colors. So remember kids: JUST SAY NO TO MUFFINS ! Who knew !!

L8r,

.Riz.

It's always fun till someone losses an eye....then it's just blind fun.

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    poppy seeds are obviously from the poppy plant which is used to make opium which is the category of drugs that heroin is in. Altoids are also a strong mint that a lot of druggers and heavy drinkers use to comver the odor on thier breath. I will have to try the testing of altoids Interesting Thanks

6. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

False positive drug tests are very common. There are many over the counter cough and cold medicines that will give you false opiods and amphetamines. If you ever have to take a drug test there is usually a place to list any meds you have been taking. List everything you have taken in the last month and then some.

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

Sorry, no surprises here!! False positives on many of these quickie tests are common. A side effect of the “War on Drugs”. Just legalize the stuff and if Bobby Beemer wants to blow his brains out with coke, allow me to hold his jacket while I go through it for loose change and he goes to Heaven!
    NEVER let the Cops search your car. EVER!! EVER!! If they tell you they “have” to impound it, ask if you’re under arrest and if not walk away and call a cab. Let your lawyer straighten it out in the morning. If they don’t find something, they make it up!!! Period. The WORST that can happen is you lose the tow charge!
    Now I know there are many good cops out there but they are not the ones on the night shift stopping YOU. Why do you think these doughnut eaters are on the Dog Watch? They aint very good!! And one way to get off the Dog Watch is to bust Billy Bob and his drug runnin’ friends!! In case you were wonderin’ THAT’S YOU! It used to be a big crime to be DWB. Driving While Black. Now it’s just a crime to be driving while “Not a Cop”. Invoke the 4th Amendment, get a lawyer and sue their fat butts off. When the city has to pay a big judgment in court for searching without probable cause, you can bet Officer Friendlys career limiting warning light will be going off in his viewfinder at high speed.
    Remember that when you put your fate in someone else’s hands be he Officer Friendly or whoever, you get what you deserve!! Generally screwed!!
    For those of you who doubt this, Check out the Fed snatching the Gonzales kid. They made a big deal about “his finger wasn’t on the trigger”. Being an ex-combat trooper, I can tell you why his finger isn’t on the trigger. THE SAFETY IS OFF THE WEAPON!!!!! You want this officious nut case in your house!!!
    Sorry for rambling on. Just don’t like what’s happening to freedom!

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Wow sounds like you ate to much suger before responding. As far as Law Enforcment goes you dont have a clue... The majority of people on the Evening and Morning watch shifts are there because they want to be there. Most like to work traffic and are looking for DRUNKS. As far as them planting evidence, I wont say it never happens, there are some bad apples in every kind of job. For someone who does not walk the line or do the job to have the gall to suggest that all of us do it, is in my opinion ignorant and pretentious.

Now as far as the Gonzales thing is concerned, I am not going to get into whats right and wrong as far as who and where the child goes. You are whining and saying that the safety was off, well duh, any fool wont go into a raid with the safety on his weapon. My department and almost all of the surrounding agencys carry GLOCK's they dont have a traditional safety so to speak. Its pretty damn simple to understand the way it works. If you pull the trigger it fires if you dont it wont, its that simple. You being an ex-military man (I am ) you should know that you dont go into any possible hostile environment with your safety on, you teammates would bounce you like a rag doll if they found out you had the ignorance to do that. If you are in the heat of an exchange and you life depends on having to act fast, you will be shot dead while you are trying to figure out why your weapon is not firing because you forgot to take off the "safety"

I prefer Duncan Doughnuts to Krispy Cream, and down here we call them Cop Cakes!

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

9. Depdog

Sounds like you ran into a couple of rookies, does not sound like an all to damaging run in though. Could have been worse if you had gotten one of the bad apples that leap before they look.

Seems you took it in stride and understand that small errors can happen. You are to be commended on you actions and for not losing it and screaming and hollering, with your calm response and the officers willing to explore other avenues and not just assume that the test was right took care of a potentially nasty situation.

Glad to hear that everything turned out alright and those 2 officers learned just as much, probably more from that encounter than you did.

More regular citizens should be as tolerant as you are, the job they law enforcment does is not easy and can be very very dangerous.

Depdog

10. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

That is Complete fU$#ING BULLSHIT!!!!! rule number 1
    NEVER LET THEM SEARCH YOUR RIDE!!!!!
    NEVER! they had no probable cause...
    you should of told them right then and there to right the tickett and piss off!!!

Iam sorry but they saw you comming / and you allowed them to play their game...

or you may have done / said some thing to piss them off ??.

if you ever get stopped from my experience
    pull to the side stay calm stay quiet. if you have tint on the windows roll them down. keep both hands on the stearing wheel and wait for the officer to come to the door...
    he is just doing his job....

but for the love of god man ...
    car searching gives them a hard on....
    hope you have learned something from this...

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Are the serch laws the same in every state?
    What is the definintion of "probable cause"?
    I was driving home the other day and two CHP cars had a car pulled over on the side of the road and the car's back hatch was open and one of the officers was looking thru the sute case full of clothing.... It was a newer car kinda small compact style, didn't really stand out as a 'different' looking car! I wish I could have found out why the cops wanted to search it? And or what was their "probable cause" for searching?
    I have talked with many CHP in my driving days and most are just regular people doing their job. On the flipside you see a 25 yearold with a flattop hair doo, you know your in for an attitude battle...............Thats when silents is golden.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

12. SnakeEyes

Well, I knew that response would bring Dep Dog out of the woodwork!! I’ll not respond to every one of his insults as that would turn this into a political board rather than a board for K-5 enthusiasts and that is not what we/I want to do. Enough to say that **b**’s post is ABSOLUTELY correct. Hand’s on the wheel, Calm and rational, if the windows are tinted, roll them down. The officer will come to the door and, if the window’s down, he’ll be moving out to the left of the vehicle. If it’s up he’ll be moving up the side of the vehicle and have his hand near or on his weapon! Move REAL slow. As long as your in the power of a blue shirt with a gun, your vulnerable. Go slow and see your lawyer ASAP if the situation gets out of hand.
    NEVER, EVER, EVER, LET THEM SEARCH YOUR VEHICLE!! THESE PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY NOT YOUR FRIENDS!!
    Refer to my previous post.
    Enough of this from me.
    As for Dep Dog. If you want to continue the political side of this you can always e-mail me at h53e@aol.com. I suggest you read any information you can at www.lewrockwell.com and www.mises.org before you show up and, if you want to study your opponent before you attempt to wrestle him intellectually, you can find my history at www.seawolf.org and try to remember that the oath you swore when you singed up adjured you to UPHOLD the Constitution and it didn’t end when you were discharged, lad!

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Dep,

You really should try the Krispy Kreme doughnuts. There are several new dougnut shops here in town and I like Krispy the best. [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

14. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

People just dont know the law / and its a dam shame
    you can tell an officer no you may not search my vehicle
    or my persons / plain and simple...
    now.. if by chance the vehicle is reaking of pot / there's probable cause / its a very vague term and is basicly bullshit as far as iam concerned...
    not to get you police folk out there up at arms
    but YOU know what iam talking about...

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Why is it an us against them thing. If I've got nothing to hide, then why should I care if they search my rig. They are trying to do their job. If they have reason to think that you are hiding, transporting, or endangering anything or anyone, then they can ask. You can tell them that you don't want them to search your rig, but with prob. cause they can get a warrant. A lot of this is judgement call on their parts. You can't tell me that you haven't made a bad call a time or two. But you have to go on instinct to protect yourself. Yeah, there are some real holes out there, but, it's not my place to get defensive as soon as I'm pulled over. This will only cause them to go an alert even more. Yes, I do put my hands on the stearing wheel when I'm pulled over. I wait till they ask me to get my ins. and drivers license before I lay over in the seat and reach in the glovebox. I also hand them my concealed carry license as soon as they get to the window. Telling them that I do have a firearm and it is stored here. I have never had a problem when I was pulled over as long as I didn't get an attitude. Times when I have been pulled over and had an attitude with them, guess what, I got an attitude back. In Oklahoma City, they pull over people that fit a pre-made criteria. There is a lot of drug traffic in the area, and they have had to step up efforts to knock it down. As long as your NOT carrying any drugs, who cares if they search your rig. It's part of their job to keep an eye out for SUSPECTED criminal activity. If they new exactly who the criminals were every time, there job would be easy, and everybody would do it. It's not an easy job, and I think a little respect should be shown to them. If you do get a bad cop, and he does things ilegaly, contact an attorny. If he does his job right and all is well, don't do like the rest of this god-forsaken world and sue them just because they were doing their job. I noticed in your profile that you are a door gunner. I'm sure you take this job VERY seriously and judgement calls are something you have to make on a routine basis. You then can understand some of the decisions that are made and the serious nature that they entail. There are bad cops out there, as I'm sure we are all aware, that is no reason however to become distrusting of all. A higher sense of awareness, maybe, but full blown paranoia, NO. It appears as if you have had a bad experience or two with Police officers, I have as well. Some my fault and some theirs. That is no reason for me to hate or disstrust ALL of them.

As far as the kid going back to Cuba and the decisions that were made, I stand behind my government on that one. The people that made those decision were either voted into office or appointed by people that were. If I don't like that decision, then the next time a vote comes up, I'll do what I can to get things changed. Until them, I think I'll put my time in working on my rig and sending letters to my congressman telling him my opinion.

If anyone disagrees with the way I feel, that is fine by me. I may disagree with a lot of you. We all have opinions. This is mine. I am not trying to sway anyone into believeing the same way I do nor do I expect anyone to try and sway me. I will listen to all sides of an argument before making a decision, and even then the decision is open for discussion if a point is relavent. Oddly enough, this is what's known as freedom, what so many of you say has been taken away from us.

Kyle
    89K5

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You guys make me laugh. I dont know about the rest of you, but I have better things to do than have my ass handcuffed and stuffed into a police car for an hour just because I wouldnt let them look under my seat. I know there is nothing in my truck that I have to hide, so just cooperate and get it over with. Nothing is going to start an attitude battle faster than you refusing to let them look, and beaking about seeing a lawyer. The original poster never said if they ended up charging him or not for speeding, but maybe they felt bad enough to let him off! I like to watch the Cops shows and nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing some bonehead get himself tossed to the ground just because he developed an attitude and didnt think they had the right to order him around. The police services have every right to be concerned about their safety and if they feel the need to search my vehicle, and they think its important enough to have their weapons drawn and pointed at me, Im d*mn well gonna do exactly what they want!
    Just my opinion!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

17. Depdog

Mudzer Krispy Kreams are NASTY, they are super greasy, thats just my opinion and in my home town I am not in the majority.

SnakeEyes, I could give a flying f*** at a rolling dougunut about anybodys political asperations or standing. I am not political, I call them how I see them and dont worry about what anybody thinks or who it pisses off. As far as the constituction goes, I uphold it and always have.

I have said it before and I will say it again, there are BAD APPLES in every line of work including Law Enforcment. I say take all the BAD ones and lock their asses up, they give me and my fellow GOOD officers a bad name. Now if you really want to get into the search thing, I DONT and WONT let them search my vehicle and I dont ADVERTISE I am Law Enforcment either, it would give me great pleasure to get rid of a BAD APPLE and would keep others from having to deal with said Adam Henry.

Now depending on where you are, you have to be FREE to go before the officer can ask you to search your vehicle. I dont give a crap about searching somebodys vehicle IF I stop them, key word being IF, you have to do something pretty damn stupid to have me stop you in the first place. I dont make a traffic stop so that I can search your vehicle, I could care less about it. Now if I walk up and there is weed burning in the ashtray, o.k. we have a problem. The traffic units that do this for a living (I serve warrants and civil stuff) will be in it to bust drug dealers and drunks. Their sole purpose is to get them off the streets, if you dont like it then write your congressman a letter and tell them to stop funding the programs and training. If an officer is determined to search you vehicle (bad officer that is) he is gonna find a LEGAL way to do it. If I am very suspicious of a vehicle and ask for permission to search and you deny me, hey that fine, you are free to go, but your vehicle stays here untill I can have a drug dog walk around it. Here is another one for ya, in GA if an officer has a drug dog, he does not need your permission to walk the dog around your vehicle, if he alerts, you dead meat, now they have all the p/c in the world to search your vehicle inside and out.

The also do whats called a money line up, that where they take the money you had (especially if you have alot) and put it with some shreded money (stuff they got from the U.S. Dept of Treasury) that has never been in contact with anything but the presses and gloved hands, its usually stuff that has been shreded because it was printed wrong. Anyhow they take your money and put it beside their shreded money and they bring in a drug dog to sniff it, if he alerts on your money, guess what, now its theirs! I think that is kinda bullshit because there is not a doller in circulation that has not come in contact with drugs in some way shape or form.

Oh well, thats enough p/c for now.

Oh by the way, I am and always will be a Marine. Love my country and my freedom.

Depdog

18. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

i do agree attitude will not get you anywhere
    but being brought in for Altoid breath mint fragments
    in an altoid tin...

Come On...

19. SnakeEyes

Well, I see that got most of you stirred up!! Good. That’s what it’s supposed to do. The more you think about freedom the less likely you are to give away the other guys and therefore your own. First, let me thank Dep for his service to our country (do I sound like G. Gordon here?). My Old Man was a grunt and made me promise never to join. He never figured on me ending up where I ended up. LOL I once had a Gunny tell me that except for that damn beard I would have made a good Marine! You guys kill me!!
    You guys are ALL political, whether you know it or not. Every time you vote for whomever you vote for, you become a political creature. Get used to it and join the fun. As for writing my Congressman? Gave it up when I was in the bush. Now my Congressman comes to see me. Old age and craft have their advantages!
    Never Give Up!
    Keep Roddin’
    And watch those Kremes! They’ll kill ya’ if your first wife’s lawyer doesn’t!

20. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

This is some of the best discussin we've had on this board. Of course it doesn't relate to K5' other than someone happened to be driving one. I see the situation like this:
    If you're stopped and a search is requested you have no reason to refuse unless you're in a hurry or have something to hide. You may as well watch and learn. You can have a good conversation with the officer that's watching you and learn something about the people protecting you day in and day out. Probable cause will be needed to search if you refuse. It doesn't matter if you think there is PC. If you have a problem with the situation there is a time and place to resolve your concerns. That is in a court of law. Be polite and honest and you will never have trouble with an officer. Officers are not machines, we are human; and being human, we make mistakes. Even those who are in charge of hiring and firing officers.

As far as traffic stops go. A large part of crime is solved or deterred by traffic stops. Wanted suspects are taken off the streets. Evidence of past, present, and future crime is found. I can't say enough about the benefits of good traffic enforcement. Just remember that the next time you get pulled over that the person is working at keeping you safe and you should be thankful that they are doing their job.
    If you think your freedom is in jeapardy, reserve your judgement until you get done with your court appearance. Just think about the wrong stuff you've done and then compare it to what you've been caught doing.

As far as E. Gonzales goes. I don't understand why he was treated different than any other illegal alien that has come into this county. In the end he got what the rest get, deported. It is truely that simple. Politics got involved and created a big pain in the a## but eventually the law of the land sent him back home.

BTW SnakeEyes, I haven't heard so much bitching since the last time I caught a guy red handed breaking the law. The only people I ever hear crying, moaning, etc. about their rights, lawyer and all that is when they know they're screwed and have run out of all other excuses for their actions and sure the hell won't blame themselves.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates