Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weirdest thing you've ever made a sled out of?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Dec 11, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A fellow CK5 member and I were having a conversation about a future build and he said that he wanted me to keep my K5 tub around so he could use it as a sled at least once.

I'm trying to convince him that he's gonna die but he's not going for it.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever used as a sled?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

trash bags
    the top to a dumpster towed behind a truck
    an old log
    lotts of stuff
    you make stuff up when your poor

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

We take lunch trays from the dining halls here at school and use them. Yes we do return them...

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Car hoods are a great thingl, I got a nice big one off a chevy C65 some buddys and I are gonna try out after a few more snow storms.

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

we used an old refrigerator one. we norlmaly use weird stoff towed behind a boat. sleds, ply wood, doors, lunch trays, skate board deks.

6. mikey_d05

I think we might race. I'll keep a seat bolted into the tub for him and I'll use the hood. :D

7. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

you should post the master plan mike, and then they would get the full gist of it:haha:

The best sled i have made,byfar, is car hood.... aslong as you dont fall off and roll in front of it, and they suck dragging back up the hill:wink1:

8. outlawtorn

wow im a slow ass typer all 3 of you guys posted while i was writing lol:haha:

9. mikey_d05

...this would be the "master plan" that Sean is referring to...he's not a kindergardner I swear to god...

untitled.JPG

10. outlawtorn

thats the one... took me the better part of an hour to think and draw that one up.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All kinds..

We used car and truck hoods as toboggans,especially at the junkyard for dragging motors to the building we pulled out of cars..a 73-87 Chevy truck hood is nearly perfect shape for a sled..we get ice on top of the snowpack thick enough to walk on in many storms,so we can get some real high speeds on sleds and tubes here..we had a blast using old bus tire tubes and inflateable matresses,but they get punctured pretty easily..

We tried all kinds of things from the scrap piles at the boneyard..old fiberglass bathtubs,boats,and metal siding off a steel buildings and truck campers,..even slid down the hill on an extra arch section from the old quonset hut they tore down there--it was like riding a bananna!..it was one of the fastest things we tried..

Also used those plastic "tote" containers and wastebaskets..but they crack in cold weather too easy..old truck bedliners work great!!..

Best thing we tried was an old sattelite dish!..made an excellent 4 person "flying saucer"!..:haha:

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My mom told me stories of how her and her friends used bedpans from the local hospital as sleds. ( she grew up poor in uniontown PA )

Tom

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Hes going down a hill in a tub mikey...dang idk if thats gonna work that good...hes definatly got some bruises in his forseeable future, I was talking about pulling stuff behind pickups and such in snow around town, gotta love small town iowa

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

VW trunklid. Curved, taqpered to the front, and a nice chrome handle to tie a rope to!!!!

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

pollyethalyne barrel, 55 gal size, cut it in half and add some rope. used to pull it behing the ferd tarus when i was a kid. went up the the mountians and took the late night down hill ride in the bucket when i was 7 or so... turned around to go back to the camp site and saw that at one point the barrel cam 3/4 of the way off the side of the hill in a corner... wasnt scary till ya seen it after ya did it...
    Grant

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we took a 18 ft piece of aluminum.24in x 50 ft coil it started with.:laugh: there was ten people on it and i was the anker !!???holding onto the guard rail, after everyone got on i gladly let go_OOWWWWthat bastage took off and we broke a speed record fo the hill.:haha: :haha:

17. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

We used a hood off of a '70 F*rd when I was a kid. We just tied it on behind our tractor and took off across our fields. :D

Rick

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the last snow a couple weeks ago we were looking for something to use a a sled. then i was reminded of the s10 blazer hood that is junk. that was fun, but then we tied a rop to the spring (it kept falling off the hook) and towed it behind the quad. the girls were complaining that they had nothing to hold on to. today i grabbed some small tube i have laying around and welded a handle up and something to hook the rope to. now its hard to get them to fall off. also with as much snow as we have, its hard to turn so getting them to do mach1 around a corner is harder than before.

ohh the fun when unemployed and bored

19. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We took a small, metal runners sled, and welded the front half of a bicycle onto the front of the sled and made a ski with a pivot, using a bolt where the front wheel went so it could be steered. I guess I was about 15. It looked like it would work great but it never really snowed good that winter and it had rusted up and was forgotten before we ever got a good snow! :o

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We used a waterbed mattress. Worked well enough that one of the group broke her leg after comin off a bump. Course her boyfriend landing on her did help a little.