Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welcome to canada.. home of rust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by natehate, Nov 27, 2005.

1. natehate

natehate Registered Member

my drivers seat was wobbling back and forth a bit
    so we figured it was just the floor needed some patching
    upon further inspection the support that runs length wise under the seat and then up in the rear wheel well had rusted to in two where it went up at the wheel well
    what a mess

also has anyone else ever ran into the rubberized layer over there floor panel?
    there was a layer of like a spray on rubber that was factory applied on my floor panels and the floor pan was galvenized
    having worked on a **** load of chevy 4x4's neither me or my dad had ever seen it
    is it just a 88-91 blazer thing?

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

my 87 K5 had the stupid rubber crap on there too. i have never seen it before. it drove me crazy when i tried doing bedliner on the floor. i had to peel all of it off to get the floor smooth, the rubber stuff was bubbled up, so i could put my bedliner down and have it look decent.

3. natehate

if you hold a propane torch to it till it turns black then scrape it with a putty knife that works well
    but you get a gnarly head ache after :eek1:

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i used alot of paint thinner...that gave me a headache too. i should have tried the FIRE!! that would have been more fun at least.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my 87 floor had the same stuff... i shaved it off with a razor scraper.. like for inspection stickers... dragging it diagonally brought it down to metal...

6. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Same in my '86 -- didn't have a torch, so I used lighter fluid. Hosed a little spot at a time, then lit it. Scraped like hell while it was burning and hot, then started over. Other than getting to yell "Fire...FIRE!!!!" like Beavis about 87 times, it sucked.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

That stuff is the Ziebart Tidy Car rustproofing crap. You can buy it from places like JC Whitney to rustproof your car. It actually tends to help some, not in your case though aparently.

I had a '76 K5 that was so rusted that when I took the fiberglass top off, the right bedside fell off! :rolleyes:

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i got eh same rubber crap. i sanded it down and herculined mine

9. natehate

actually the funny part was that under that crap there was a fairly large (for my truck anyways) piece of orginal floor still galvanized and then the part that was rusted the cross member that ran under it was still factory paint on the inside
    my truck is odd and its so disapointing