Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welcome to the house of pain

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, Mondays suck. But hey, I am only back to work a week, then I'm off again to Colorado for some fun. So I'm coming off the S/B Hwy. 680 offramp to Mission Blvd. in Fremont to get over to Hwy. 880. I'm on the motorsickle and it's zero dark thirty in the morning. Now, anybody from the area knows that for some reason at this time all these anxious folks coming W/B on Mission just seem to have to get over immediately into the #2 lane even to the point of cutting across the white solid lined gore point. So, I am always heads up at this point for this type of merging.

I make it past the dangerous part, or so I think, and I am now firmly in my W/B #2 lane. The offramp just turns into this lane so no merging on my part, I have the right of way. Suddenly out of my left peripheral vision I kind of notice a flash of red. Then, without warning, a full size pickup darts right in front of me from the #1 lane into my lane without warning, signalling, etc. Just as fast, the guy slams on his brakes I'm assuming because traffic in front of him has slowed or stopped . Now, keep in mind that the truck cut in front of me leaving me about 10 ft. tops to begin with. Now that space is suddenly gone as his tailgate is rapidly filling my vision with no time to spare. I start to swerve left, but instantaneously realize it is brake time. I have to get on the binders hard.

Now, as most of you motorcycle riders know, locking up the front tire is always problematic. But, if you are lucky enough to be perfectly upright and don't have your wheel turned any, you can theoretically ride it out. Not so for me. None of this slow motion life before your eyes lay down the bike and hope for the best stuff here. One minute I am jumping on the brakes, the next minute I am tumbling ass over teakettle down the pavement. I can hear the bike doing the same. I'm bouncing so long that I actually have time to formulate the opinion that it sure would be nice to stop bouncing down the asphalt and come to a stop. I'm trying to keep my arms and legs from flaying about too much, but I realize during my rolling that my left leg has managed to flop out and I feel my groin muscles ripping. After it seems like an eternity, I come to a rest.

My first thought is that I need to get out of traffic or the next sound I hear will be screeching brakes and I will become somebodies new front axle ornament. I try to move but that isn't going to be a happening thing. To say that the pain was intense would be a gross understatement. I can't move a muscle. Fortunately several good citizens come to my aid, block traffic, and call for help. Since all cellular calls go through CHP first, I don't get a bambulance for about 15-20 mins. But, they finally arrive and off I go Code 3 to a trauma center.

Long story short, after 2+ days in the trauma unit, I have three broken ribs, a cracked sternum, several torn muscles (too many to count) and mucho road rash. Surprisingly, the Harley faired reasonably well considering I left much locked wheel skid and the bike came to rest about 150 ft. down the road. I am finally home and they gave me lots of pain killers. As an aside, I did make a serious tactical error that I won't do again. While the missus headed off to get my meds from the pharmacy, I laid down and fell asleep. By the time I woke up, all my meds were completely out of my system. Now I can feel every single pain associated with my little flight and all my muscles have stiffened up to concrete. I'm flat on my back and can't get up out of bed. It took me 15 min. of maneuvering to get upright and I nearly passed out twice. Lesson learned, never let your pain meds run out.

The end result is that my Colorado trip is **** canned and I get to spend several weeks gimping about the house irritating the family. The good news is that the scoot isn't as damaged as I am. Despite all the pleading to the contrary, I will be keeping it and any insurance money I end up with will help finish the Blazer for next summer. I also got to try a smogasboard of pain meds. Morphine, Dilaudin, Percocet, Demerol, and the one they finally sent me home with, Norco with an Ibuprofen chaser. Since this is the second good wreck I've been in on a scoot, I was already aware of the value of a good set of leathers. I was glad that I opted to put everything on in the morning as I nearly left off the chaps and went with the lighter gloves. Had I done so, I'm sure I would be far worse. I have major road rash on the legs, and the gloves were ground down all the way through to my watch which also ground away. The helmet is ripped apart but the coat didn't do too adly. The boats are also scuffed up but will survive. I also took some scraping to the safety glasses I was wearing so I was glad I had my clear S&W shooting glasses on for nighttime riding.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Damn bro, sorry to hear it but glad you are more or less OK. Did the cops find the guy that caused it or did he stop? I believe I would want a piece of his ass!

3. Desert Rat

I'm thinking one of two things happened. Either the guy never saw me to being with, and never looked back once he swerved in. Or, he did and got the hell out of Dodge after it happened. All I remember was a big red tailgate with a gray section running across it.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

****ing ****ty. hmm both of those were likely censored.

Some people are just assholes when it comes to driving. I can be I know, and I can't say I've never done stupid things when I didn't notice a motorcycle, but I know I damn well try and look out. I can't understand people in city traffic jams. I'm from a place full of cattle farms and developments, we just don't drive like that. My first real taste of that crap was on Long Island when some bitch decided she wanted to occupy the exact same space as me. I should have let her try and take the right front fender of my 97 with her on that little trip. Wished I had the burb in that case, she wouldn't have had a car left. I can't imagine that crap on a motorcycle, scary.

Good luck on recovering man.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

D-RAT, glad your ok.

Sounds like you came away a little worse for wear but alive. Hopefully you'll get the bike up and running and back in the saddle soon. Thank God you were wearing some protection.

I do a fair share of bicycle riding and it seems like people could care less if they kill you or not. Most never stop, damn fookers.

Take it easy, get healed, send me your excess meds. :D

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Watch those drugs, they can get ya.........................

The last accident I went to was a deer vs. M/C. Deer lost. Guy was awake and talking when I got there. Didn't bang up the bike too bad, and he was probably at 70+ at time of impact.

Get well soon :D

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Happy you're still with us. Sorry too hear about your pain and suffering.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, bro!!!

On a lighter note, stopped in at the local 'ol Cycle shop. Nice old wooden floors, dark ceiling and just a kool atmosphere.
    Picked up an oil filter for the FXWG and a tube of aluminum polish. The owner happened by and asked if I need a leather bound helmet. I checked it out and he said a fellow returned it today saying it was to tight. I tried it on, perfect fit fer me. Offered it for $60.00 with tax. I ask if he has a visor fer it. Let me have the $120.00 helmet, snap style strap and smoked visor fer $60.00. I like it!!!

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dang man thats crappy, it si so ****ty that most people who drive cars are so stupid when it comes to watching out for poepl on 2 wheels
    jerks
    OK is the worst state i have ever riddin in by far

10. Desert Rat

It didn't have a big scrape on the left side did it? :whistle: That's what I had, a nice leather covered HJC....

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow dude, glad to hear you're alive, but that sucks that you're all chewed up... Good to hear the bike made it through ok, too/.

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

that really sucks man.
    most people around here drive like assholes.

Glad you weren't hurt worse! hope you get better soon. :thumb:

13. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Great story, Sorry about the injuries, pain meds can be a good thing. If this is your second accident sounds like you got 7 lives left. If you are on a motorcycle you are fair game for all the idiots. Hope you will be back in the saddle again soon.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get well soon man!! Glad to hear you made it through all of that...once you are airborne it can be a real crapshoot as to what you'll hit or miss before coming to rest.

A guy that used to be my foreman a while back dumped his Harley at about 50 mph. He had inadvertantly left the kickstand down, and the first corner he took chucked him from the bike. He hit a lamp standard with his lower leg, although the rest of him was pretty much unscathed.

His ankle was so bad they had to amputate which was bad enough...but he ended up picking up one of those superbug infections. In the end they couldn't give him anything else to fight it off, and told him his body would either fight it off or not and there wasn't much they could do. They operated 14 times in a 28 day period...he eventually beat the infection, but the amputation ended up well above his knee.

Rene

15. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

that sucks. i've had too many close ones to even count.
    Here they just put up billboards with a big guy w/beard and leathers that says "FEARS NO MAN, TERRIFIED OF SOCCER MOMS"
    Pretty ****ty that people drive like this.

16. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Ouch! Glad you are OK, but, unfortunately most 4 wheelers don't look out for bikes much. There is a lot of truth to the term "loud pipes save lives".

Good that you were geared up and had a on a good helmet. Over the 4th of July holiday, we (Hollister) hosted the Independence Day rally and a husband and wife took a spill due to hitting some gravel on the shoulder of the road. Both were tossed from the bike and, tragically the wife landed on her head in a non DOT helmet. She passed away from massive head injuries the next day.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

17. Desert Rat

Got up this morning and thought I was feeling fine until I started moving around. I'll be hitting the Norco and Ibuprofen again shortly......... I'm also learning that despite the abundance of TV channels on cable, most of them suck..........

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Wow!!
    Glad our OK. Pain meds are there for a reason, take them!
    Many of us know personally what your going through, it does get better. Stupid drivers will get theirs!

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stupid people + cars = DEATH!!

I'm glad you were not killed!...I hope you heal quickly and have no permanent disability!..I would like to have a motorcycle so I could save money on gas,but I dont think I'd live more than a week on one around here...you guys think its rough as far as traffic ??--come to the boston/cape cod area..the traffic is heavy,but its the MORONS driving the cars that is the biggest problem..people that cant speak english(or read the road signs!),they talk on cell phones,pay no attention to their speed,or what traffic in front of them are doing--

Nnow that its vacation time,watch out for the trailers,canoes,boats,campers,and all the other junk they tie to their SUV's with a bungy cord like bycycles,luggage racks with "cargo carriers" strapped on with duct tape,that often fall into the highway right in front of you at 75mph.. :eek1: :angry1: :angry1: ..then you have to deal with semis,often hauling 2 or 3 trailers in tandem(death traps!)and garbage trucks,contactors trucks with nails and boards dropping onto the roadway,etc...a real JOY to go anywhere here..

I was on my way to CT a week ago--its a sunny suday afternoon--as soon as I cross the MA border into RI,and on to CT,the traffic usually just about dissapears,and the "road rage" that dogs you all the way to the MA border is usually not so bad in the other 2 states(I assume this is because the RI and CT cops actually STOP and TICKET people that deserve it!--in MA,I rarely if ever see a state trooper(or local cop for that matter) ever pull anyone over for driving "aggressively"--even though the big sign at the RMV says they do..

I am travelling in the center lane of a 3 lane highway,cruising along at 65-70mph...then I see a VW Jetta come out of an onramp--there is NO other vehicles in the first lane,so there is NO need for the VW to have to leave the first lane...but the moron glides right across the road,and evidently I'm invisible!--I was going to pass in the 3rd lane,but as I look in my mirror,another MORON who WAS behind me is already next to my drivers side door!--now I have NO escape!...I'm leaning on the horn,and all 4 wheels are nearly locked at this point--the VW is 3 feet away,and is not showing any sign of moving back into the first lane,which it never should have left in the first place..

I get my first glimpse of the VW's driver--an elderly woman,that looks like she's taken too much medication--a stoned,blank,expression on her face,and staring straight ahead,like she is completely oblivious to the fact she's even IN a car DRIVING it! :eek1: --finally,my blaring horn got her attention--she moved over about 1 foot,just enough for me to floor it and fly by her!--I got it up to 100mph and held it there,until I was WELL away from that elderly alltimers poster child...I wanted to kill the bitch!..I nearly had to total my car,which means a lot to me,since it was a gift from a very special person!!!...I hate driving it around here,because EVERY time I do,this scenario repeats over and over...

I'd like to move somewhere that has about 100 people,and the nearest "big" town is 50 miles away,and has only 100,000 or less..I'm tired of feeling like a sardine in a can in traffic here,and dont like being at the mercy of drivers who should not HAVE a car or licence,cant handle a car,or does drugs or drinks and drives,or cant read english..and talks on the phone endlessly...I wish I had died BEFORE they invented cell phones--be better than dying BECAUSE of them... :mad: :crazy:

Hope you feel better soon!--go easy on the pills though--I had a prescription for Percocet after my surgury for testicular cancer,and I had a hard time with pain after they ran out...took me 6 months to wean myself off them...they make you feel TOO good --you have to get used to the fact some pains never go away..and you cant always take drugs constantly..your body will revolt eventually.. :doah: :crazy:

20. Desert Rat

What I can't figure out is why I keep breaking out into a major sweat every so often. I don't know if I'm having a weird reaction to all the meds, or if it is my body reacting to the different injuries.