Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld 10 bolt?? Edelbrock carb. problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Apr 20, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I have been pondering whether or not to weld the spider gears in my 10 bolt. I am running 35" hawgs and do 50/50 onroad offroad driving. What are anybody's experiences?

Also, I have a 600 cfm edelbrock carb and have been noticing when I change my oil that it is diluted from gas. I am assuming I am running way to rich, so how do I tune down the carb. to the right amount of fuel to air? TIA

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For the 10 bolt, do it. Just make sure you carry around a set of extra axle shafts ALL the time. Just be nice to it on the street, and don't try and pound the gas on corners, and you should be ok for awhile.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if u do weld it, be prepared. and if u break it on a trail, have someone there to drive beside ur tire until u can get it on a trailer. when the axle breaks, it will try to walk away from the truck

NITRO

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 10 bolt issue is covered so as for the carb:
    Check the float level it may be too high.
    The only way to change the air fuel ratio is to put in smaller Jets or change the metering rods.
    Check to make sure your choke is all the way open.
    Get a Qudra-jet they are a lot better carb.

5. 85 Shortbox

I have a stock rochester Q-jet laying around (and a rebuild kit too), would that be bettter or would I need to look into an after market one from holley or edelbrock?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You talking about welding a 10 bolt rear? I wouldn't do it.

As for the carb, if you can do a good job rebuilding the Q-jet, it'll be the same as an aftermarket one, otherwise, the aftermarket one is basically brand new and ready to rock and roll.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would go ahead and rebuild the Q-jet. They are a lot better carb for off road than the Edelbrock 1400 carbs. Because of the design of the float bowl the Q-jets handle steep angles and bumpy roads with out the flooding problems that the Edel 1400 and Holleys are prone to do.
    Dont weld those 10 bolts unless you put in some STRONG akles. Even then you are pushing it with 35" tires.

8. 85 Shortbox

What would you do to posi-lock a 10bolt then. I am thinking maybe a lock right or maybe a powertrax no slip????? I apprectiate all your help.