Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld 14b sf? poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Dec 14, 2005.

?

weld the 14b sf?

1. yes its worth doing it for now

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. no its not worth the trouble

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. weld it break it and bet a 14bff

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. dun dun dun ;D

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im thinking of welding the spider gears on my 14bsf and trying to get a general consensis on weither its a good idea to weld it and run it for a summer or just run as it big94gmc said its not worth it...but i figured ide get some opnions form other sorces before i make my decision ;D

funds for a ff wont be in till the end of next summer

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  2. TBair

TBair Registered Member

put your time and money into a 14BFF

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Been there, done that. Lasted about a month when the spider gears exploded. That was with a 350 & 35's. You have a 454 & 38's, right???

I put a Detroit in it afterwards and it worked awesome with no trouble.

It would only cost ya $20 in supplies to weld it and hope that when it breaks it doesn't damage anything major or cause you to crash. Your call....

Here's what the Detroit looks like for the s/f .....

[​IMG]

4. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Weld it right and it won't break, weld it wrong and well....

I am running 4 welded diffs in two trucks:

Toyota with 36"s and doubler.

K5 with 39.5"s

None broke so far. Welded em right.

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Doing it right is the key. Weld the spiders together at all 8 contact points, weld the side gears to the carrier and weld the spiders to the carrier. Move around and dont let any 1 spot get to much heat.Also make sure to stay off the roll pin with arc or spatter, and clean all slag out after your done.I also have run many welded diffs and never broken any. The 14bsf in my k5 has taken a thrashing for 2 years now on 37" boggers and no problems yet!

6. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Exactly! Welding in ALL the spots is key, and stopping to allow cooling often. Make a spool out of it. Too many folks think that technique of just welding in some teeth on the spiders works.... seen those break 10 minutes on the trail. I just took the Yota up Tank Traps last weekend, front and rear welded by me. Rear with a Lincoln 225 stick welder (pain in the butt) and front with Miller 175 (easier).

It is worth the time, and it costs next to nothing. I'd take positive traction over an open diff any day. I did my front on my K5 just taking off the cover and welding it, cleaning it and putting cover back on. Yota, now that was pain, damn 3rd member axles.

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

What would make the descision for me would be this. Is it a daily driver? If so over a period of time a welded diff or spool is hard on axles. Especially when making the sharp turned we have to during daily travels. If you were to break an axle and it slides out not only have you broke the axle, but with 38's you gonna take out your entire quater panel anyone next to you.

I would be lying if I said I haven't done it before but it's just something to consider.