Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld a 10 or 12 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Jan 25, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I like the idea about welding my differental(s), but would it work the same way as welding a 14 bolt as discussed in the tech artical? I have never done any gear work, but want to learn. Are there shimms in a 10 or 12, and if so, do I have to re-shim them when I weld the spider gears? Would you guys weld one or two axles if you had the choice, and if one, which one...front or rear? Thx.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The process is a little different than a 14 bolt because the carrier has to be removed on a 14 bolt. You can weld either 10 or 12 bolt the same way, I have done both but I never welded my front end in fear that it might start breaking axles. I allways weld my rear spider gears in the rear, I have had too many experiences with broken spider gears, not to mention with it welded you will see a huge difference in traction, you will be able to go some places that you previously had to use 4wd for. If you decide to weld them you will not need to re-shim or anything because you never remove the carrier. The way I do it is to weld where the gears mesh together and then weld where the side gears (the ones the axles come thru) meet the carrier, be sure to get both sides. The only problem with doing this is once they are welded to the carrier they can never be removed, you will still be able to change axles, ring & pinion, bearings, etc. Hope this helps.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/12B/10B/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots