Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld in bead locks.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 30, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Hey have any of you used weld in bad locks? If so what do you think of them? Give me opinions of them even if you haven't used them. I am considering getting a set.

2. scoutillac

Anyone?

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

cant say i have used em but there was an article in petersons 4 wheel about em this month.

4. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Haven't used them yet but they look like a great way to go if the welding is proper. I thinking about trying to make a set of double bead locks using the weld in's. The only problem I think I will run into is the clearance of my calipers. 2 cents welcome.

5. scoutillac

I thought about the same thing while I was reading the Peterson's article. You bring up a good point about the caliper. HMMM! That could pose a problem.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You only lock the outside. Locking the inside is not necessary.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you can roll the inner bead. Double locks like those from Stazworks are the only way to be sure you won't lose a bead unless you bust the tire.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes that is true, but it's much more difficult to blow an inner bead than outer due to the way weight transfers.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very true. I will probably get a set of these weld ons and run them. A single beadlock is a lot more than lots of people run.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    very true. I will probably get a set of these weld ons and run them. A single beadlock is a lot more than lots of people run.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than I run. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I make custom weld in bead locks. I have had them on my rig for quite some time now and they are still full of air so no problems that way. We put them on a friends rig for some road testing and didn't have any problems there either. I think they are the best way to go if you are on a budget or already have rims. They are a good way to go even if you just want beadlocks that can take the abuse. Couple other guys on here have gotten beadlocks from me. Maybe they will chime in with some pics and comments.

12. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You only lock the outside. Locking the inside is not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. I've rolled my inner bead twice now over the last 2 years with only the front bead locked.

Truth is, most do not lock the rear bead on a 15" rim because the rear "bell" of the wheel is pretty large- in comparison to the front bell. On a 16.5" rim, the bell is very small (front and rear) and this is the reason that they cannot be safely ran at low pressures without a front and rear beadlock. Some have reported to run the 16.5" with only a front beadlock, but do not go down to the extremely low pressures.

I have the Rockstomper weld on bead lock rings on my 15" rims and would highly recommend them for anyone who gets offroad and plays hard. I believe Cyberfire's rings are of the same design.

Many of the hardcore guys are going to double beadlocks...and I don't mean the internal style- they're using the external clamp style. They are running these on the RW axles with pinion brakes though. I just don't believe there is enough room for an inner beadlock on an axle with wheel brakes.

13. scoutillac

Cybrfire can you post a pic of your in the body of a message? I would like to see them. I know this isn't a for sale forum, but what are you asking for a set? Can you get inside them easy enough on the trail to repair a flat? Or does the inner bead hold up too well?

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what do you mean by internal/external? Way I am taking it is you mean internal as in the standard hummer rim or stazworks rim where its the split rim with the rubber inner bead. And external meaning bead rings that bolt at the outer edge of the wheels. If thats what you mean then I don't get whats wrong with Internals on hub braked vehicles. I'd like some nice Stazworks split rims but Cybrfires setup is much cheaper than the $200 a wheel rims.

15. cybrfire

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the ones on my rig. As for a price I'll pm you later. I've had these pretty low and no probs. You're better off with a narrow rim also. That helps to keep the inner bead on and there are a few other tricks as well.

16. cybrfire

just realized you don't have pm capabilities. Sent an email to your address listed in your profile.

17. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Hey Kert, this is the design I have been working on for my custom cybrfire locks.

[​IMG]

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have them and they have never leaked. They seem to be balanced pretty well to because I do not use balance weight.

[​IMG]

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just makes me want my new K5 and the IROKs on already.

20. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't get whats wrong with Internals on hub braked vehicles

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. Many people run an inner bead locked wheel but they do have the internal type beadlock. This is the type which locks both the inner and the outer beads by a two piece wheel and something in the middle to compress against. What I was referring to was the possibility of an inner bead lock on an axle with wheel (hub) brakes using the external style. I don't think there is room.

I believe my next set of wheels will be the external beadlock type and will be locked inner and outer...because I'm going to RWs with pinion brakes.

The only reason I will not run an internal style beadlock is due to the fact you can't (easily) run an inner tube on the wheels with the inner beadlock and still be locked. You would have to remove the lock ring, thus "no locky".

With the external style, I could get away with no spare tire, but carry an inner tube. I could zap one bead off, insert the tube then reassemble.