Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld in brace or frame brace kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Oct 9, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, my frame was cracked... yadda yadda, anyway i wanted to get a weld in kit, and call it good, but i've heard that there not worth it, and i should just weld up the crack (which i have done) and get the bolt in frame brace thingy. This will be for a pretty hard off road truck, so i want to do it now while its apart, any suggestions, Oh yeah, i'm very tight right now, so i can afford to buy both /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well both is the only option I would recommend so work on that

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The weld patch fits like crap and shouldn't even be on the market IMO.

Bolt-in is the way to go.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

the patch sometimes needs massaging with a hammer to make it fit right... depends on who made it..some are better then others... I tacked mine then hammered it to fit the frame perfectly...
    If you have a crack I would say do both as well....
    you can start with the weld in patch... then when you can afford it do the brace... I noticed more responsive steering after I did mine... definately tighter seat of the pants feeling
    cam

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the weld in patches are all made by the same company but I've been unable to prove it.

The hole centers are wrong, and the holes are too big. The box will be able to move if you use the weld patch.

I'm going full hydro most likely anyway, but if I wasn't, I'd wish I'd never used the worthless weld patch. Wasn't even worth the $30 that I paid for it.

6. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I agree, with some some short bolts through the mounting holes for the box and some c-clamps placed in a couple spots the weld in brace will suck up the the frame pretty good. And the hammer is always a good thing to keep handie. Never know when your gonna need it.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, i'm thinking that i should weld up the frame very stoutly, then get the bolt in brace, i'll think this over tonight and buy one tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I welded my crack, welded on the weld-on brace,then bolted the bolt-in brace as well. The bolt in brace is nice because it ties into the center cross member distributing the loads better..

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You'll need to do both-

WEld to repair the Crack-
    Frame brace to prevent it from happening again.

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Get the weld in now and the bolt in later when ya can.

I ran the weld in kit for 8 or so years by its self and the cracks didnt come back.I welded up the cracks and then bolted the plate to the frame and welded it on.

I got the bolt in kit from ORD when I went to crossover.

Something else I did to keep the steering box on the frame is on 3 of the bolt holes ,I used longer bolts so I could put a lock nut on the back side.Just added insurance that ya wont pull the threads outa the box /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The hole centers are wrong, and the holes are too big. The box will be able to move if you use the weld patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you never make checking the torque on your steering box bolts part of your pre run routeen.Sorta goes along with tcase adaptor bolts and ubolts and stuff.Keep that shat tight and it wont move /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have just the weld-in kit myself, and have had no frame crack issues at all. Having hydro-assist takes some pressure of the frame apparently. Having both types of support wouldn't be a bad thing in the long run.

j

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the weld in patches are all made by the same company but I've been unable to prove it.

I'm going full hydro most likely anyway, but if I wasn't, I'd wish I'd never used the worthless weld patch. Wasn't even worth the $30 that I paid for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you drill out the holes on the frame to match the holes on the brace, it won't move. The holes on the frame stay the same as always. Once again Tim is basing his opinion on his ignorance. I think I've replied to you on this subject before. Fact of the matter is, Timmy, you don't know everything. You know very little about this subject particulary. If he has cracks in his frame, like most of us probably do, the proper way to fix it is to drill holes at the ends of the cracks. v out the cracks with a grinder and weld them up. Sand/grind it all smooth again, then install the weld on brace. It takes alittle time to make it fit, but because of the nature of these frames and the loose tolerances, those braces need to be made like that. After doing the weld on kit, then install the bolt on one. That is the best and strongest way to do it. Plain and simple Tim, you dont know what your talkin about. Again.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless you drill out the holes on the frame to match the holes on the brace, it won't move. The holes on the frame stay the same as always. Once again Tim is basing his opinion on his ignorance. I think I've replied to you on this subject before. Fact of the matter is, Timmy, you don't know everything. You know very little about this subject particulary. If he has cracks in his frame, like most of us probably do, the proper way to fix it is to drill holes at the ends of the cracks. v out the cracks with a grinder and weld them up. Sand/grind it all smooth again, then install the weld on brace. It takes alittle time to make it fit, but because of the nature of these frames and the loose tolerances, those braces need to be made like that. After doing the weld on kit, then install the bolt on one. That is the best and strongest way to do it. Plain and simple Tim, you dont know what your talkin about. Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

A welders opinion, and I agree 110%. 'Fitting' is a trade/skill all to itself and the weld on kit needs to be properly 'fit' is all. It also needs to be welded as per the instructions to prevent adding stress risers and making worse cracks. I installed the weld-on kit and the bolt on brace as well...problem solved.

Rene

15. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

any thoughts on boxing a good portion of the frame in around that area and buzz some holes thru for some tubing and make it look like the newer truck frames?

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The weld patch fits like crap and shouldn't even be on the market IMO.

Bolt-in is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...do You have the cash to make a perfect die????
    Our engineering Dept. estimated the cost to be about $30,000!!!
    Now that's for a die that will make a perfect over-lay...

Now...you would have to sell a bunch...to break even...
    and would have to sell them for $200 each...

I'm sure ORD looked at many options..and many stampers...
    I'm sure they used this design..to make to part marketable..

I really don't think the part is that bad...for the money.
    I know I could weld-it in..and Not have any issues!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

BranndonC

I have had a small crack near the bottom of the frame rail...since May...

I haven't had time to weld...
    but with the gearbox bracket kit installed...it hasn't gotten any worse.
    I'm just going to weld to crack...the winter...without a the ORD patch panel.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not to menbtion that that kit is designed to fit all years, and all the frame varations from those years pretty hard to make a one size fitts all

18. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not to menbtion that that kit is designed to fit all years, and all the frame varations from those years pretty hard to make a one size fitts all

[/ QUOTE ]

Frikk.

I'd just sell a piece of 1/8" plate, a ball peen hammer, and a drill for $30.00.

The "Hutch Craft" Steering Box Brace DIY Defraction Modulator Kit. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Weld the cracks, weld in the plates and definitly add the cross brace.

I do not understand the dislike for the weld in plates. Mine fit well, welded in well, and I'm glad I put them in there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You're right to put all lot of attention into this p/s box mount, an "ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure" applies here big time.