Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld-in rollbar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Apr 19, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of buying the Smittybuilt weld-in kit(Style U Part#BL84) in my rig. the reason I'm am thinking of this is it comes pre bent, to conform to the cab and dash. I'm not going to use a factory style rear bar to weld it to. I will have a buddy weld in the remaining sections. Then I can Have a Custon cage for about $200-240. I want to try and not burn my interior. And since I have the Topoff my 84, I can Tac-weld the Weld-in Smittybuilt kit, and then pull it out and have my buddy weld it. Then bolt it in. Since the top is off I can bend and weld the other rear bars any way I want. My Question is to the guys with the factory or after market rear-bar. I need to know how close they come to the cab? Right where the top bolts to the cab? This will help me decide on either the weld-in kit or just a whole custom bar.

My buddy said for full-cage the material would be about $90 and then his weld price of about $75-100. the Weld-in Smittybuilt kit is 3 bars and cost $90. and then my cost of Materials would drop to about $40-50 plus $50for weld/bending the remaining bars. Either way it will cost about $200-240

Just want to get you opinions

Thanks Michael

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Wow that's all? I'd have expected more. Keep me in mind and maybe we can get a bulk rate? heh-heh.....[​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

3. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I helped a buddy install a smittybuilt prebent cage in his 79 we thought the same thing. Once he tacked it in place there was no getting it out of the blazer even with the top off. We ended up having to weld it in place. My blazer I am having to weld the cage inplace also. Good luck let me know how its going.

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Moose,
    Let's see some pics of the rear section of your roll-cage.

Or just show up on 4/30/00 Tempe Town Lake for Az K5's., but the others on this sight might like to see your cage.

Michael

5. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I'll try and take some pics this weekend. Then if I get back from Mexico in time I'll be at the gathering

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Moose where are you going in Mexico?

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I'm going down late thursday to Rocky point for a race.

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Where are you ordering your smittybuilt cage from?

9. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

If I decide on the weld-in kit It will come from Off-road Unlimited in Mesa, AZ $89.99. 4wheelpartswholsalers.com sells the kit for the same price plus shipping