Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld in Steering Box Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Nov 19, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Ok... After seeing posts lately about frame cracks by the steering box even with the ORD steering box brace I'm starting to wonder if I should get the weld in kit just in case. What do you guys think? I don't have the body back on the frame yet so it would be pretty easy to do. I'm planning on wheeling the blazer pretty hard so I'm guessing it would hurt anything... or would welding on the frame make it weaker than it is now?

Chad

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I vote for adding the weld in kit anyway. I have had two K5 frame cracks now, and the first one I was young and dumb and didn't notice till I had to graft in a frame section..........can you say ka-ching? Never again. Good insurance and it adds even more of a rigid road feel than just the ORD brace, which adds a lot. JMHO

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yeah especially if you have the body off, it was no fun welding kit on with everything in the way

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

so the weld in brace adds to road vibration you feel through the wheel? So when i add in the brace buy a nice aftermarket steering wheel with nice padded grips? I drive alot-- almost reached that asphalt mudder status

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

the only thing I noticed was abit better handling...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

It adds to road feel and steering response. If you have vibrations, then thats another matter.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA