Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld in steering brace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by surpip, Jun 7, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

probally already been coverd, but the search sucks here, anny way why dont you weld all around the steering patch for the brace kit???

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Uh, the instructions say not to?

Seriously, I didn't write the instructions but since you're welding on the frame from top to bottom I would guess that it's to prevent you from putting a continuous discontinuity (weld heat affected zone) all the way up the frame.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

That was the only thing i could come up with> Yes the instructions say to weld in 1 inch spots all around but say" DO NOT WELD ALL THE WAY AROUND" so i just wanted to make shure. Also i would like to apoligize for not haveing the money on my card for long enough to compleate my order of my cross over steering, sorry about that i will be getting it next week or so. thanks,
    dale

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

when the frame twists(as it will) a continuous bead could easily mean a nicely weakened frame right there. Which is worse, a crack at the steering box or a frame section gone?

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok thats another good reason, what about getting water in between the plate and the frame? i was thinking about putting a bead og scilicone around it? what do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doesn't sound like a bad idea to me

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I can't imagine that it could get in and couldn't get out, but then I can't imagine dealing with the moisture and salt from back east also so trying to seal the top might be a good idea. It's just about inconceivable to me that a frame could actually rust away but I know it happens. We're not even in a real dry area and it's dry here comparatively.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

probally just a little over cautious Really makes me wonder when i see all these east coast rigs.........

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Use some spray paint with one of those little red tubes stuck in the nozzle and spray the paint in the cracks wherever you can. Just flood it until paint drips out, then spray it some more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on , good idea!!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif