Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld in steering brace

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, someone had given me a weld in brace awhile back.. I've slacked and not done it... Now, umm, lets just say I need to do it... :doah:

Anyone have the instructions? The instructions wheren't included.. I've looked thru the writeup http://coloradok5.com/ordframebrace.shtml

just wondering if there was anything on the instructions not on the writeup. Just trying to have as much info beforehand as it's the DD and am gonna wanna have it done in a day..

Moving the p-valve and lines looks to be the biggest nuisance to me...

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I didn't think you had to do that with the weld-in, only the bolt in. :thinking:

3. ryoken

Could be, I didn't hunt around down there too much, just looked a little cluttered down there...

Looks to be an all day project for sure.... Kinda kicking myself for not doing it sooner... Getting old and lazy sucks.. :wink1:

4. ryoken

A pic of my neglect.... Was originally planning on doing it with my lift, but I think I better take care of this, this weekend... :doah: :o

When I heard it click yesterday, I knew what I was gonna find... :doah:

[​IMG]

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Very nice!

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the weld-in repair goes on the outside and the bottom.

Considering how badly that thing is cracked, you might want to use the bolt-in brace, too.

6. ryoken

yup, thanks, I plan on it.. Probably gonna have to add that in a couple weeks, not in the budget this week...

Figure I'll get going on it early sun.. Stop-drill the cracks, v it out, etc, etc... should be a fun day! :doah:

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Have fun! :grind: :weld:

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a straight forward job. Like you say, drill and vee, weld and smooth it out.
    Get some short bolts and nuts to bolt the plate to the outside of the frame. Bolt it up real tight mimicking the box being tightened up on there. Beat down the edges of the plate with your favourite BFH so you can get a good close weld all round. If you've already preped it all weld it up then move on to the smaller one underneath. Clamp it up as tight as you can, beat the edges flush to the chassis again and weld it up. If you're using a mig turn the wire speed right up as welding upside down is a bitch!
    I spray all areas that are going to get hidden by the welded plates with zinc weld through primer as it'll really help stop rust setting in.
    Oh yeah, and just weld an inch in every inch, not a continual weld.

9. ryoken

Don't let this happen to you folks..... Install those frame braces now... :doah: :haha:

[​IMG]

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You may think you have waited too long, but it could be worse! Just be glad you called it quits when you did.

[​IMG]