Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld In Steering Kit HELPS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just got done installing the weld in steering box brace/repair kit. It helped my steering out quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I only had 2 cracks in my frame behind the box. One was starting to make the transition from the side frame rail to the bottom. I welded those 2 cracks up and welded in the brace.

My steering wheel stays straight again even after turning corners. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif The steering in tighter and more responsive now too. I am very happy. It was kind of a PITA but it is done

Harley

This is just and FYI if you have loose steering or the steering wheel moves around on you. It is worth the $70 and the 4hrs to do it.

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I installed the ORD steering box brace couple weeks back so much better steering with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it was PITA too but well worth it...

justin

3. Hossbaby50

Ya, well worth the hassle. I just can't wait till I get crossover in next weekend (keeping fingers crossed the parts get here). Steering should be pretty damn good after that and my truck will be read to offroad again. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Harley

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

how bad was it getting the box off? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I ordered the steering brace a week ago, my frame isn't cracked yet and I don't want it to. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wish I could drive someone else's K5 some day to see how my steering compares. After replacing my box and draglink, everything feels pretty tight, but the steering response still sucks compared to a modern vehicle.

One thing is that I kinda have to straigten it out manually after a turn. Not all the way, but it'll still be turning in the direction of the turn a little. I'm pretty sure my other vehicles more-or-less straigten themselves after turning.

7. Hossbaby50

Mine used to have the steering wheel stay a little in the direction of the turn too. With the brace in there it is alot better if not totally non existent. I am happy with this mod to say the least. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley