Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld on bead locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Found a thread on pirate once and can't now but it listed all the weld on beadlock kits. What all ones do ya'll know of and any pros/cons? I am looking for a kit that INCLUDES the hardward too.Thanks

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I got mine from rockstomper back in the day and haven't had a single problem since. They do cone but no leaks to this day. there are quite a bit more vendors out making these now.

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Try DIY4X. here on ck5. He goes by cybrfire, he'll probably chime in later about this.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Pros,

Cheap compared to alternatives.
    Customizable
    Durable
    Protects the rim
    Personally I love the look as well

Cons,

They do cone in (if you want to call that a con some folks like the look it produces)
    Some say illegal (I've been pulled over with them on in a strict state and nothing was said)I have yet to see it in black and white.
    Rim is permanently altered.(if you want to call that a con)
    They don't lock the inside bead. Cheap ways around this as well.

Generally I don't do bolts with them for the simple fact that the weight of the bolts would require them to be sent in a different package which negates any savings I could give you short of picking them up at a local hardware store. I also have seen instances where a shorter bolt could have been used. I'd start with 1.75", 1.5" will often get it done.

I was going to stay out of this thread as I am biased but hey, there it is. Fair as I can be.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I was gonna buy some DIY4x ones until you found me the those H1 wheels and DRW axles in the same week :)

Kert's work is top notch.... I'd go with his.

Kert - I've heard that they're not "DOT approved" but are legal. :confused:

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With weld-on beadlocks, you are substantially altering how the rim works.......so technically you are voiding the DOT- approval that the rim has when stock. Therefore, again technically, the rim is not legal for use.

However nobody has been able to produce a vehicle law that specifically states a "beadlock" is illegal. There are companies that make beadlock wheels that obtained the DOT approval with the beadlocks.

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not worried about legality and such. A friend is buying me a set along with himself if I do the welding on his (he got frustrated at his 16.5s last weekend). Money is really no object to him so wanna get the best and was thinking of getting the hardware too to make it all in one bill kinda deal.

8. wicked_k5

wicked_k5 Registered Member

Shawn at Great lake offroad makes them also. I think he has a special running on them over at pirate.