Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld on frame bracket hunk of junk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, May 10, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

alright, so after hours of work i got no where, the steering box would not bolt on properly period, its even worse w/ the plate on, so tomorrow im gonna take the plate off, any ideas as to wat to do? i have the bracket from 4WPW, no i didnt mail order it, i actually went and bought it. anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong, and how dangerous is a crack in the frame, i have one it kinda lines the bottom of the frame and then comes back up.

phill

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I would say take it back and tell them it doesn't line up then order the ord brace ..
    Could it have been not just right lined up...just a thought...mike

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

How did ya line it up when ya welded it on? Te best way to do that to eliminate misalignment issues, is to just bolt the brace on, then weld it. Remove the bolts, stick the box back up there an re-insert the bolts. You are gauranteed perfect alignment doing it this way, Asumming of course that the brace holes actually line up with the holes in your frame.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thats the way to do it/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If your frame is cracked, you need the kit. If it is not cracked, you can use the ORD brace to prevent cracking. If you have the holes misaligned, you will have to CAREFULLY drill them out enough to get the box on. OH....the crack is REALLY dangerous.

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya the holes dont line up at all, im gonna remove all of it, bring it back to 4WPW(bastards) and have a welder fabricate something for me.

phill

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

YOU WANT TO FIX THE CRACK!!!! Trust me mine busted clean in half and I had the steering box floating. I was lucky and knew a guy with a welder ( Thanks Sky ). But if I had done any more driving then I had before I noticed it I would have been on my roof in a ditch some where and I havent put the roll cage in yet.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You also, more often than not, have to replace the bolts with longer ones. I bought my longer bolts at the local Tractor Supply. Bolted the brace up to the frame with all bolts in, marked tact it, removed the pump, and proceeded to welding.

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You will pay as much to have one fab up then to just buy the ord one....mike