Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weld on steering brace.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 11, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, as you all may know from the other post, I have installed my weld on adn bolt on steering brace.... Thought it was going to fix a popping/clunck kinda noise only while driving and turning left (while driving) Like taking a fairly sharp left at say a red light or intersection.
    The problem Im having is that I thought the frame crack was causing this so I installed the brace(s) adn the popping is now less frequent but it is still happening.
    ITs not the body tweaking, creaking, or gears or tranny, cant feel it in the steering at all. But it feels like the frame below my feet is being hit with a sledge hammer(ok a small one) but none the less.
    Any ideas what this problem is?????????

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I would check your crossmember were transfer case sits, had a similiar prob. bolts were loose. Maybe front shackles or body mount.

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Mine did that and drove me crazy. It was the body mounts they set right under your feet.Had to have the body reinforced in that area on both sides.Only did it when turning

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

4. My 82 was doing the same thing and it drove me crazy untill I figured it out.My springs were hitting the frame at the shackle
    and the top bushing was also wore out.I was going to buy longer shackles but I traded her off.But this could be your problem also. Just my$.02

5. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Did you space the front fenders with something other than OEM?.. My truck has creaked and popped since I put it on the road..I believe the lower fender bolts are guilty.....I installed a brace, also...pretty much bullet proof...

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

WEll, My spring bushing are brand new poly's that came with the lift, right at a year old. My floor is in A1 condition, so I dont think its the body mounts, though I have thought about that.
    I thought about the shackle hitting the frame, which would make since, however why would it only do it half as much as it use to now that the frame brace has been welded on other than it doesn't let the frame flex as much keeping the frame further away from that shackle. I'm gonna pull it in the garage today and check every fing bolt on the truck from the doors forward. This is starting to piss me off somehting fierce.
    Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. Not the spring bushing Brandon.There is also a bushing in the frame where the shackle bolt goes through it.Check the rivets around the crossmember and see if they look ok.

8. Not the spring bushing Brandon.There is also a bushing in the frame where the shackle bolt goes through it.Check the rivets around the crossmember and see if they look ok.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Gee, which post to rely to? LOL!!!![​IMG]

I figured that much.... The crossmember rivots from what I can tell are all good. I dont see how Im gonna be able to make it shift enough to find them if they were the problem if it takes the truck moving adn slinging the 5500 lbs from one side to the other to make it pop. Less Hercules decides to stop by adn lend a hand. [​IMG]

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Some areas that I've found in the past to make noises are: loose/cracked front bumper mounts, loose rivits in the cross member and spring hangers, springs bushing sleeves that were over torqued and are loose in the mount, spring bushings that are worn and loose body mounts.