Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WELD REAREND OR NOT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swampthang1, Dec 4, 2002.

1. swampthang1

swampthang1 Registered Member

Im sure there has been a post about this before I just cant seem to find it. Who here runs a welded rear, does anyone run it on a daily driver? I hate to have to spend the extra money for a locker when it only cost time to weld it. Does anyone have any other suggestions. If any one does have one on a daily driver how bad is the barking from the tires on such a heavy truck. I have done this once to a toyota I was impressed of the improvements it made off road but hated the barking from the road. I needed to air up the tires on the Toyota I know this makes it worse.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if it is a DD, it is a bad idea unless you live in a dirt road town and you never leave said town.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What kind of axle is it?

4. Sandman

Are you Ok? You didnt say a word about his profile!
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My detroit came in today - paid $300 for it (14 boltff.)
    Why weld? $300 is a chunk of money, but worth it.
    -- MIke

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i've given up. No one wants to fill it out. I assume he has dual 10bolts based on the crappy quality pic in the avatar.

I almost wish they posted a pic of their rig and made us guess, at lest then it is a game /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. a2b

a2b Registered Member

i havent heard anything good about welding axels together even for trail rigs. and if it is a DD, welding shouldnt be even considered IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think a detroit is the only choice IMHO. it is bomb-proof, managable on road, and reliable.

9. swampthang1

OK sandman my profile is filled out Is there anything else you need from me now

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't weld half ton axles...

I ran a welded 14 bolt FF for almost 2 years on the street and trail. Great on the trail (except for snowy sidehills/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but kinda nasty on the street. I got used to it and the barking and chirping was not too bad. I just got a Detroit and would never go back to welded though, unless it was a trail only truck.

Rene

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    OK now that we know, I still say like evryone here, DD don't weld.
    I have the Lock right, on 35" and it was my DD for a year, it's strong, cheap, does bark every once in a while if I push it hard going in a tight curve like a U turn, but if I let it coast it's fine.
    After 15000 miles, hte tires still look brand new and I have been on 8 trips off road, including snow, sand, mud, and Rock (Rubicon) and I can tell you I am very much pleased with the performance, durability and ease of installation, took me 1hour for the rear, and 45 min for the front.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

He can be taught!

Thanks for filling out the profile. 1/2 ton stuff you be really vunerable to breakage.

upgarde to a 3/4 step up and a welded rear will survive, but its still going to be tempermental on the street. Tarmac is not kind to spools and lincon lockers.

13. swampthang1

Thanks for not flaming my A$$ over my profile. I do not have a lot of time through the day but I fixed my mistakes

14. Sandman

Maybe a lock-rite might be the ticket. Not as pricey as a detroit and more forgiving on the axles.

15. swampthang1

OK where is the best place to get a cheap price on a lock rite? We do not have a good local shop and 4WPW is the only thing that is in a 100 miles of me

16. Sandman

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I run a welded 14b on my daily driven K5. The ONLY time ya notice it is when ya make sharp, low speed turns. Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp...I kinda like it, People look at me like I'm from Mars when I pull into a gas station. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another thing, DO NOT weld anything less than a 14b FF...I could see axle shafts on a 10/12 bolt being broken just from street driving.
    One advantage of the welded rear over the Detriot is that ya ALWAYS know what it's gonna do. VERY predictable. I've never driven a rig equipped with a detroit, (Unless ya count military 2.5 ton trucks) but I'm told they make alot of popping, clunking noises, and when they un'lock, I guess they can "throw" ya around a bit on the road. Not as predictable as a welded rear. Don't get me wrong though, I'll definatley get a Detriot when money alows....Much easier on parts- U-joints, drivelines, VERY hard on tires...ect ect. My $.02. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I also heard Randy's Ring & Pinion has great prices, and their support is also very good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Dont be a weenie,WELD it up and forget about it,unless its a 10 or 12 bolt then dont weld it!

20. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I got mine from Randy's for $300.
    -- Mike