Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weld up a 12 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ruff_ryda_420, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Ruff_ryda_420

Ruff_ryda_420 Registered Member

i want to weld up my open 12 bolt, is it just the same as weld the spider gears on a 14 bolt (as per the tech section)?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 12 bolts are quite a bit different than 14 bolts. I think that the best way to weld a 12b is to weld the side gears to the case, but you have to be a pretty darn good welder to get a good strong weld like that. Personally I don't think it's the greatest idea, for a variety of reasons. First off, it won't be nearly as strong as a welded 14 bolt. Second off, it's probably going to cause you to break other parts like axleshafts. </font>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

We welded mine up. Took the cover off and rained the fluid. Cleaned out all the lube we could then welded all the spiders together. 16 gob welds in all. We used a rod with nickel content... It held up fine even to a high throttle, bouncing rear-end situation!

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm....I know some say it will work just fine. I've done 10+ sets of 14b spiders, and have had a welded 14b on a DD for 6 or 8 months. I would never weld a 12b. First time I drove on pavement with my welded 14b, I was shocked at how much tension and stress etc etc, that the shafts and everything else where taking. I would would think you'd be tempting fate if ya welded your 12b.....It's my opinion that it would blow apart fairly soon.

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree on the high stress placed on the shafts when welded, especially on the street. I broke 2 D60FF rear shafts on the street while making turns, so I wouldn't do it to a 12B if its street driven a lot. My $.02.

Will