Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welded 14FF question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, its a 14B FF diff... welded the spiders to each other NOT as per the article on the front page. The spiders are all welded together.
    What my questios is: How gentle do I have to be to this thing? The truck is making lots of new rattles and groans as the tires scuff around every turn, and I have been very tentative with the skinny pedal... do I need to be? The roads are mostly snow covered right now, but there are sanded/ salted corners that make things very sticky. How wide do I need to turn? How much do I have to baby this thing for fear of breaking an axle or something? Is there a chance it will break on me with a moderate application of the gas?
    BTW, this question is from a guy who went from govlok 10B to Trutrac 12B, to open 14B, to welded 14B, so be gentle! Hehe. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!
    Mike

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well lets see, if you are confident in your welds then be as hard as you want. A month before I parked the K5 I welded up the stock 10 bolt. I was HARD on that thing, spun it sideways more than once on dry pavement. The point is a 14 bolt is a lot stronger, your not gonna twist an axleshaft or break the carrier but the thing to worry about is the spiders and welds, and you are the only person that can give yourself confidence there.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

No need at all to baby it. Thrash the thing if ya want, nothing will hurt it. I know it's kinda scary at first, I was kinda cautious too at first........for about 3 hours. Then I decided it was no fun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Burnouts, donuts, brake stands- go for it. No worries. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, I didnt weld it, but I was there when he did it. They are very well done welds. So, its really that tough huh? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I like it!

Thanks
    Mike

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya know how a quad or now mobile acts when you turn hard and gas it (full 180) You can now treat your rig the same /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ran mine welded on a DD for 12000 miles, didn't break (it did loosen up a little due to my spyder style welds like the tech article). You have traction now have fun!!!!

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ask Rene this question, he had his 14BFF welded for over a year I think and never broke it.......... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Pick up a four wheeler mag. and read some of the TTC rig spec's. I've seen a lot of hard core rigs with 44's and welded spider gears in there. If they can't break it, you won't break it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If the welds are good then you shouldn't have any problems at all. Concerning breaking an axleshaft or other component in the axle, they are not going to see any more stress than what a Detroit locker would cause. I've been running a welded 14FF with 38" TSL's for several years now with no issues.