Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welded D44 front, opinions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Aug 13, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<font color=red>I have been thinking of welding my front diff.(you know lincoln locker [​IMG][​IMG]) I have heard from some people that the D 44 will do nothing but snap axles if it is welded. Does anyone else have a lincoln locked D 44 in their truck? If so any problems?</font color=red>

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I had 1 and quite a few friend do still. Never have had any problems. When you weld weld the spiders and then the spiders to the carrier. Works great. Just remember to not try and floor it. Because under alot of pressure axles will snap. But then they will snap even with a open diff. Its hard to turn on the hard stuff. I put a detroit in my and acts just like it did when I was Lincoln Locked. Good luck.

3. tRustyK5

Did you leave the axles in when you welded the spiders? If you did did the heat from the welding affect the axles in any way?

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

4. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

just drop the cover and flush out the carrier with alot of brake clean. You can leave the axles in just don't weld them because then you screwed. Take your time and let it cool naturally. Do your spiders first.Then spiders to the carrier. Let the spiders cool before you start the next.

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, but if you plan on using the rig to mud bog, you'll break it if it is welded. It will be very hard on locking hubs if it is welded, not to mention that it will be hard to unlock the hubs, and you run it in the mud. My friend and I used to run a welded 44 in our bogger, we ended up going back to an open diff, because its better to loose a little traction, than break a hub or a shaft and be finished for the day.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

6. tRustyK5

Actually I'm more into <font color=red> rocks </font color=red> and <font color=green> trail </font color=green> than mud bogging. I hate the clean-up and extra maintenance from mudding [​IMG] [​IMG]. Do the hubs get harder to unlock because of drivetrain wind-up with the welded diff? Does it help to back up a bit first? Thanks
    Oh by the way I'm using the Spicer hubs right now.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Yea the hubs are hard to unlock. As with any hard locked front end. Just back up and they will come out.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I honestly don't think a welded diff will be any harder on axleshafts and u-joints then a locker. The only time you would break something is when the vehicle is under power, and if it is under power a locker would be locked solid just like a welded diff......so no difference. Something like a Detroit does have some advantages as it is stronger than the stock carrier and will usually turn a little better than a welded diff.

9. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I agree

10. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

My experience says HELL NO DON'T DO IT.!!!!! I got the not so brilliant idea to put a miny spool in my 44 and every time I put it in 4 wheel I broke a stub shaft axle. all I had for a motor was a mostly stock 350 and 35 inch tires. Something has to give. your best bet is a powerlock for your
    44. Better yet buy a dana 60 and be done with it.

MUDNUT

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Brian,

What mini spool did you go with I have been looking for one but everyone says they dont have them for a front 44. Did you use a 30 spline rear 10 bolt mini spool?

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com