Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welded D60 Front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

Anyone runnin a welded d60 front if so you got pictures how has it held up what you got for steering etc... i was thinking of it if i can do it and be able to pull the carrier so if and when i get a detroit I can put that in welding it would be temporary i want a detroit up front.

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I was talked into welding my 60. I ran with a d44 welded with stock steering that that really sucked. My 60 that is welded has crossover, highsteer, and hydro assist so its not an issue anymore. I am waiting for a detroit tho.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was going to weld mine.. however i was putting in 4.56's and needed a new carrier... so $600 for the carrier drop in detroit..... was a bit much but hey... guess if your going to do it... go the extra boat and know you got parts that companies did research to provide you with good stuff...

I dont know how bad a d60 welded is to steer but my detroited one is easy as anything.. off road that is...

4. ProJunkRacing

well a d60 detroit is carrier replacment right? for the front

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

IIRC yes. There is a difference when ordering as to what gears you have so Im almost positive that you replace the carrier when installing a detroit in the front 60.

6. ProJunkRacing

aha that is all i was curious about that it isn't a lunch box locker

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that thing is never gonna leave the garage, whats it matter anyways?

8. ProJunkRacing

sure soon

9. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Mines welded with cross over and hydro! I love it cheap easy and I've never noticed any loss of steering I turn tighter than my buddies toyota with a limited slip and he's got 38x11's and I run 39.5x18's. I have beat on mine pretty good, on the rocks had it bouncing a foot in the air full throttle for a min. or more without a problem. In the mud I was full throttle lock to lock for a min thru a mudhole again no problems. My 10 bolt open woulda broke and my D44 with chromo shafts and a powertrax did. But so far the welded stock 30 spline 60 has me and the ("wife you break too much") wife very happy! Yes a detroit woulda been great but I cross overed welded and hydro'd for the price of a detroit!!

10. ProJunkRacing

what did you get from where and how much ?

11. backyardbuilt

Welding of course free, cross over: I used a parts mike arm that was on sale for 80$ and the ford arm & 2wd box for 32$(junkyard) 2 hiems with weld in bugs for 53$ & 10$ bolts(local place) 10$ for tubing for draglink, Hydro: I used a chief ram and lines and fittings 80$(northern tool) I tapped the caps and rebuilt the box myself for 35$(napa) Built my own ram mounts 15$ for steel. So that puts me at 315$ which is what a detroit cost a year & 1/2 ago when I did this but most of the stuff you can still get at the same price. Welding was gonna be temporary for me till I found a deal on a detroit but it has worked so well I'm not gonna change it. Just like I bought spare 30 spline outers until I had cash to get the 35 spline stuff but its been 1 1/2 years and haven't needed it, so they'll be replaced with 30 spline if they break! And save the 325$ for something else.

12. ProJunkRacing

gan you get me a link to the place you got stuff

13. backyardbuilt

14. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I welded mine. I welded the 2 side gears straight to the carrier. Thats about 4 3" welds there.
    Then I welded 4 1" sections where the side gears touch the middle gears.
    Then I welded the middle gears straight to the carrier which is 2 2" long welds.
    I dont think it is going anywhere:D

As for how it acts. I can tell its there but it isnt $400 worth it to be able to turn a little better.
    I run Sky's crossover and a rocklogic hydro assist ram.
    When on the rocks (rocks no dirt) it will steer just fine. When im on dirt or soft material it likes to try and "push" more forward but still isnt that bad.