Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded d60f steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Sep 21, 2006.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

has anyone that welded a front end and used crossover steering have trouble getting their wheels to turn?

I might be welding the front spiders in my d60 since I wasted the carier in it. I would like to avoid putting hydro steering in a truck that is going to be used for mud?

could the pump mod for hydro assist help with how the stock box turns things?

just shoot out some ideas I have on my next truck build need it to be cheap.

2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

you could always jump out and unlock a hub. it will be harder steering with it welded.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Its going to suck without hydro assist.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will become the master of 10 point turns, better get a cooler for your power steering

5. REDCRO_REDNECK

I get what you guys are saying but I am not hearing I did that and hated it.

how are detroit lockers any different when the throttle is pegged?

6. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

when you let off the gas with a detroit it unlocks and allows you to steer. a welded diff is locked all the time. i put a lockright in my front d60 and can feel it want to pull straight when on the gas, but off the gas it will unlock.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Wait for Ira to post up. (Sandawgk5)

We welded his spiders a month ago or so.....he can't turn on pavement with crossover, no hydro, without unlocking a hub. Even in 2WD.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I put a spool in a dana 44 with 36" sx's. Burnt up 3 power steering pumps in one day. Steering sucked, had to always unlock a hub to make any decent turns. Then upgraded to a dana 60 with a detroit and there was a night and day difference. I could really use hydro assist but its ok for now. I would wait until you could afford hydro assist.

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i know people that had had welded D60 fronts and they had trouble steering on the trail with full hydro

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Its a pain in the arse! If you have the $$ do it right. If you are a cheap bastard like me, weld it up and deal with it. Nothing like the traction but it doesnt turn for ship!

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

And then there is the issue of having the Ujoints phased when welded. There was a post on here some time ago about this very thing. Some liked it and some didn't. It was starting to sound like if the shaft joints were out of phase the steering became even more difficult which seems to make sense.

I'm going to try the welding route on the blaz. I also have full hydro steering and drive slugs so I will report back to let yall know what I learn. At least with welding if you don't like it you can put a locker in later and get rid of the welded stuff.

12. REDCRO_REDNECK

That is part of the appeal my front carier is wasted, I have another carier but I would have to go deeper then 410