Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welded doors?! **NEW DONE? PICTURES**

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ntaj*ep, Aug 1, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I went to a street rod builder today and he says the truck can be fixed! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But it will be longer than 2 weeks and cost (IMO) way too much. So when I told him What I use the truck for and what the master plan was, his idea was welding the doors shut. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif HA, weld the doors shut, wait you mean like half doors or somthin'. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Holy cow what an idea. Since the body is toast anywhay, I can mount some sliders, my cage even. Wow maybe I can take the truck to Blazer Bash after all.

So my question before the cutting begins.........Ideas? please I'm begging you I need ideas. I'm lost without you, give me anything, anything at all. Its a first gen. so I figured I wouldn't go past the lower body line. But where to start. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Welded doors?!

You're not going to paint it orange with a big rebel flag to go with the welded shut doors are you? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The General Lee it is not. Orange however?........I was thinking gray but now that you mention it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Do it. It will look awesome. I've seen a bronco painted like that and it looked good(for a bronco).

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    OK, heres my idea. What do you all think? I think it will strengthen my windshield for sure! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i saw one that had that in fourwheeler one time. it looked cool. they had a cage and all in theres. put a drain hole in it is my only suggestion.

nathan

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK so I want to incoperate some sliders under the doors and get rid of the rockers all together. I want to keep the boxes but cut the rockers and fenders from wheel to wheel. Any ideas on braces. I don't think I can go to the frame, can I? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I don't see why you couldn't. If you get rid of the rockers, you should be able to mount your sliders in the same plane as the frame which would make bracing very easy. Getting rid of the rockers will also allow you to get rid of those dirt and rust traps underneath...

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

This weekend I'm doing it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif NO cut doors, I'm bracing the door openings and using the rock sliders as a mounting point for the floor. I'll have pictures hopfully. I got to do it before the 21st! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I'm stressing! BAD!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I need to do this now. I got the front cage kit from smittybuilt today and the dude that does tubing called and said he would help me out even though It's such short notice (thanks Jeff, if your on here yet). Its getting close. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of mine i cut the lower 12" off of the body no rockers or rocker boxes welded in tubing to support the windshield frame and tapered the new floor to the old floor.

[​IMG]

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I cut out all .......OK not all, but most of the rust today. Talked to the roll cage dude, and picked up all the steel. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I got 3/16s 3x4 rectangle tube for the sliders, and 1/8th 3x3 for the supports. Weld it all in tomorrow. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Gotta do it .
    I can't wait to see your rig up close. The pictures look sweet /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I've studied them since you posted them, awhile ago. AWSOME!

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

13. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Re: Welded doors?! **NEW UPDATED PICTURES**

Thats looking real sweet. So are you going to fab up some doors also?

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ha! doors? Whats that? Oh ya I shoulda thought of that, huh? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I don't think I'll have any doors for Moab, but I may fab up some kind of door for the winter. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Not sure what I'm gonna do yet though. Thanks, by the way, I think alot of the ideas stemed from your rig, and some others on here. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Where would I be without this place? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Probibly enjoying the weather, not working on the K5.LOL

15. sdredneck

sdredneck Registered Member

I am really Impressed but I have the same concerns of that You live in Kirkland (I am In Bremerton) and you don't have any doors. Are you mad? It rains like 85% of the time up here. Anyway You really know your stuff. Nice Bikini by the way.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool! Looking good!
    I got my 3x3 sliders done too! I will try and get some pics up for you guys. Can't wait to see both your rigs at Moab!!
    I will have cold beer at the camp ground!! See ya
    Burt

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Hell YA, Cold Beer and stimulating conversation /forums/images/icons/grin.gif What else indeed /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Oh fixn' the truck.lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I can't wait to see all the trucks as well as the peeps. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Welcome, what truck do you have? Fill in your profile so we all can see some stuff about ya. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Do you have a 69-72? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The bikini top is on SMPs ride, by the way.

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So are you gonna be ready for BB02, it looks like only me and you and maybe Jason are going.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif When this whole thing started there were about fifty people from Wa. Or. and Canada going now just 3...WTF /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Yes, looks like it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif NEED sleep, must get sleepie timmmmee. needtogotobed. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif