Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WELDED FRONT QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 30, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 that will be recieving a 14ff rear with detroit and 4.56's. The problem for me is finding a front end to match. Well, I located one (a D44) with 4.56's and has already been converted to 8 lug to match the 14ff. The only problem that it has that I dont like about it is that its welded. My question is that do yall who have experience with welded front ends think that it is wort it for me to buy this and not have it break? I just dont want to dish out a good sum of money for something that cant hold up to that stress. I wont be doing anything like moab, but i will make the occasional trip to uwharrie, and maybe tellico in the future. I will also be running 37" tires. Oh, and one more thing, can i run it in 2wd with both hubs locked so i can turn it and have 4wd on the fly? And, can I run it with just one hib locked sometimes in 4wd so I can turn?? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My crystal ball tells me that with a D44 with a welded up diff and 37's will = breakage!!!!

I'd keep looking personally.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd have to agree with waxer. Keep looking. I don't think you'd like it very much. Good for some mud racing though.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I broke my open 10 bolt front with 4.10s with 38s and it hasn't seen much use yet...although it just depends on how you drive.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

depends on how it's welded...could just be that all you'd have to do is replace the spider gears.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an 87 K5 that will be recieving a 14ff rear with detroit and 4.56's. The problem for me is finding a front end to match. Well, I located one (a D44) with 4.56's and has already been converted to 8 lug to match the 14ff. The only problem that it has that I dont like about it is that its welded. My question is that do yall who have experience with welded front ends think that it is wort it for me to buy this and not have it break? I just dont want to dish out a good sum of money for something that cant hold up to that stress. I wont be doing anything like moab, but i will make the occasional trip to uwharrie, and maybe tellico in the future. I will also be running 37" tires. Oh, and one more thing, can i run it in 2wd with both hubs locked so i can turn it and have 4wd on the fly? And, can I run it with just one hib locked sometimes in 4wd so I can turn?? Thanks.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I think that if you wheel very hard it will break pretty quickly, not neccesarily at the carrier, but shafts and u-joints for sure. If you run in 2wd or 4wd with the hubs locked then you will have a hell of a time turning. If the hubs are locked then the front tires are locked together and will not turn at different speeds to make turning easy. If you run with only one hub locked, whether 2wd or 4wd, then it will turn without a problem; however you will be sending all the power tha tgoes to the front end to the one wheel, so you are pretty much gauranteeing breakage. </font>

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

cant you just though a lock right in there? I heard there VERY easy to install

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its already welded. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    depends on how it's welded...could just be that all you'd have to do is replace the spider gears.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey, do you still have that 10B front with 4.56's for sale man?
    -Harrison