Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welded front spiders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I would like to know if it is really worth it to weld up those front spidys on a 10bolt, how much stuff will break because of the added stress, i don't do any "extreme" wheelin,, like major rock crawling, but would like extra pulling power up those more inclined inclines /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I'm in an '89 Burb currently undergoing a 700r4 transmission change and a front diff replacement/conversion to 8 lug and 4.10 gears, runnin the 14bff/locker out back. Mainly i just want opinions on this matter to find out if the cheap way is in the long run going to be the more expensive way, or should i just shell out the extra money and go for some type of limited slip or actual locker?

Le'me have it /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Don't weld up the front unless you are mud racing in a straight line, cause that is about the only direction you can go with is welded up. Detroit makes a reasonbly priced limeted slip powertrax locker that would do the trick. I got the Detroit in my 3/4 ton 10 bolt front end, and with those week axles I have transfered breakage back through to the locker, I put it in a box and ship it to cali and have a new one in a couple weeks, no questions asked. so it's worth the initial price. What are you putting in the rear 14bolt?

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have a welded d60 front and hydro-ram assist and I turn in 4lo like i used to in 4wd without hydro-ram assist. On the street or in a parking lot I can turn the wheel with my finger with ease. 10bolt isnt really worth doing anything to if you're thinking something beefier in the future.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The 14bff in the rear is supposed to have a locker installed stock from the factory, i got the rear out of a '76 2wd p/u. I came home and called the dealer, ran the numbers and was told it has 3.73 (which it does) he told me about the F.F. 14 bolt deal and a locker, but right at the moment i can't remember what kind he said. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Switching to 4.10 as i am going with larger tires real soon. As far as the front, being that it is also my daily driver, i wouldn't think a locked front diff would really be a problem on the street as long as the hubs are unlocked,,?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif they are manuals.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For the rear 14FF, if it's factory than it's not really a true locker like a Detroit.

For the front, I don't see how you would break parts more with it welded than with any other type of locker. However, I personally prefer something like a Detroit or Lock-right in the front because it seems to make turning a little easier when in 4wd. With the hubs unlocked it will not affect steering at all.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah on previous wheelin trips, i was not too inpressed with the performance of this supposed locker, i was thinkin it was more like a limited slip unit, it really only work the redneck way, that is holding the brake while attempting a hill. I do notice when the wheels are off the gronud however, i can rotate one side about 1 complete revolution then it acts like it locks up and grabs the other wheel.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I see that you live in Phoenix, but if you go somewhere where there is snow/ice, you won't be able to use 4WD and will pretty much be screwed.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Naw, no snow really, primarily just the trails around here, but thats a good point i am glad you brought up, i just may go up to the north country or travel back to the hometown in Indiana someday and might need that differentiating front diff. Thanks for the thought.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Billavista of Pirate4x4.com has welded spiders in his Dana 60 front axle, he said it always wants to go straight on the trail. He has fully hydraulic steering which he says helps. Driving on trails and rocks can be like driving on ice or snow if you think about it, its slippery no where near like pavement. pavement performance is no indicator. And with a 10 bolt locker or welded you are gonna break something if you are really wheeling it.