Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded rear on a daily driver

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Nov 4, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

anybody do this? what are your thoughts/opinions/experiences with welded rears?

2. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

noo good man its wiked hard on axles my firend did that to his and he used to go through tires and axles like crazy not to mentioin its a bitch to turn and makes all kinds of noises when turning

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Not on a daily driver

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends on if you're used to it. It's hard on tires. It not only wears the rear ones (due to the fact the inside one will always be spinning around corners) but your front ones will get pushed and scrubbed a lot. If you change your driving habits then it's not so bad. You come into the corner a little faster than an old man and set it up so you preload the front end and unload the rear.

I wouldn't do it on a K5. There's too much weight on it and it's got a short wheelbase. Not only will it handle funny (pushing around corners) but it'll be hard on that 12 bolt you've got since it's got all that weight on it. If you had a 14 bolt I'd say give it a try and worst case scenario is that you change the carrier back.

I had a longbox S10 with a 12 bolt with a spool in it. It was alright to drive since there was no weight in the back (except for a permanent tonneau cover). Then again, you powered the thing around the corner anyway. 400 horses via a sixpack and a cam that made vacuum accessories useless, 4.10 gears, a full manual turbo 400, and 265x50r15 tires made it interesting anyway. A 12 gallon tank didn't get you very far when you only got 4 mpg.

Anyway, I wouldn't run a welded rear end in the back of a K5 for street use. You might want to give it a try though. If my Gov-Loc in my 14FF doesn't work I'll be welding it--but it'll be in a longbox standard cab truck.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a welded rear axle in my Jimmy. It is a 14 bolt though. It is my daily driver, and it isn't to bad. It is a little annoying sometimes, but it isn't terrible. (at least to me) I had to change my driving style alot, but I like it ok. Worst you can do is weld it and try it. Then if you don't like it you can always buy a Detroit.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

kicks butt off road..

but burns up tires QUICKER than you know what on road...

Off road 90 plus percent... good...

On - road 90 plus percent... bad...

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I did like mine however!

(Thanks Rene)

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I put over 100 miles a day on my rig and the rear is solid.
    It doesn't bother me at all.
    I did notice that my mud tires were wearing rather fast so I tossed on a set of all terrains from my pickup.
    They don't seem to be wearing too bad and they just scuff on corners.
    The others bark and grab on sharp corners.
    I have driven up snow and ice covered switch backs and as long as you don't drive like an idiot it handles just fine.

9. Savage

Savage Registered Member

I run a Gov-lock in a '91 Blazer, when it blows (I know they are junk) I plan to go with a match set of Detroit TrueTrac's front & rear (no clutchs to wear out). I run an Auburn Full Spool in the rear of my Jeep CJ-7 with a Detroit Truetrac in the front, street manners are rude for sure, especially on snowy & icy streets. Off road it kicks ass though.
    I know guys that are pretty good @ welding up the spyder gears, but then I also know of several cases where a piece of the weld has broken out & destroyed the crown & pinion.
    The Auburn Full spool is so cheap you would be much better off going that way, then if you don't like it you can sell it & buy an Eaton, Auburn or Detroit Pozitraction. Savage /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif