Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded spider gears vs. a locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 25, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what's the value in having an after market full time locker over welding your spider gears? i'm not too familiar with how lockers work - so maybe if i understood that i would be able to see an advantage to the lockers, but welding the spider gears makes complete sense and so I don't really see the value in spending tons of money on a locker unless you have a selectable locker.

colby stephens.
    www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

A Detroit will allow you to turn easier under most instances. A spool is always locked so turning is a chore all the time.

edit: A Detroit will unlock when power is not applied thus enabling you to turn the front wheels if in front and not push the front when in the rear. When I decide to spend the money I will get selectable lockers. I am welded front and rear and it sucks in some places when you need to turn in a tight spot.

3. 76blazerguy

76blazerguy 1/2 ton status

im also at a little confusion to this subject. My transfer case has H and L Loc. I assume its just the rear that locks but what kind of locker does it have?

4. spoolnaround

Thats not for a locking dif. The H and L is high range and low range gearing in the transfer case. The loc just means its locked into 4 wheel drive.

5. 76blazerguy

oh ok. thanks so its only actually in 2 wheel drive when its in high? if so why would you put locking hubs on? im sorry if this sounds really dumb. I have to learn somehow though

6. spoolnaround

You should have a 203 in your K5, you have 2H, 2L N 4H, 4L. All this means is you have the ability to be in 2 or 4 wheel drive in high range (same gearing as driving on the street) and 2 or 4 wheel drive in low range (thats wheen your rig revs to 3K RPM going 10 MPH) :wink1: does that help any?

The locking hubs help slow down the wear and tear on front end parts. A full time 4X4 the front driveshaft always turns due to the hubs always being engaged.

7. 76blazerguy

oh yea that makes perfect sense would you ever lock a 12 bolt? or is it not worth the cost?

8. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

If he has a 203, there is no 2wd.. there is
    Low Lock
    Low fulltime
    neutral
    High fulltime
    High Lock

in the "fulltime" settings, there is an open diff in the tcase between the front and rear outputs.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just to make it a little clearer.. he means, you have:

Hi loc,Hi, N, Lo, Lo Loc :D

Hi loc - Hi 4wd
    Hi - hi 2wd
    N - nuetral
    Lo - lo 2wd
    Lo loc - Lo 4wd

For simplicity

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

true, but it's just easier to think of the Hi and Lo as 2wd. :thumb:

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so basically the big difference is turning radius? in the future i'm going to go to 4.56 - 4.88 from my 4.10's, maybe i should try welding the spider gears to see what it's like while i've got the longterm but temporary 4.10's to see if i think it's worth dropping the dough for real lockers in the future. but i guess that doesn't take into account my desire for selectable lockers. i suppose i'll just have to think about that. any other major differences other than turning radius?

12. spoolnaround

I wouldnt waste my money on a 12 bolt. When you have $150 in your pocket go looking for a 14 bolt. You should be able to find one for that amount if you do some looking. When you find a FF14 (thats a full floater 14 bolt) make sure its out of a 3/4 ton and it should bolt right in. Even a semi floating 14 bolt, you can find them n 6 lug I think. The only thing you might have to do is mess with the e-brake, there are 2 or 3 different styles. You may need gears in your front end to match as well. Normally its cheaper to find a matched set 14ff and 8 lug Dana 44 or 10 bolt that came out of a 3/4 ton than it is to re-gear. A Dana 44 or 10 bolt will hold up to 35's great if you drive it right.

13. spoolnaround

only applies to front end: And being able to turn. If you go this route I would put a cooler inline, I burned up a pump 1 mile into the trail (in the snow) the first time I went out in my welded front.

A plus to welding is cost and predictability. Thats it! If I had the funds it would be a selectable locker but Detroits are priced right, strong and work great.

14. spoolnaround

Just trying to be as simplistic as possible. This is the most newbeeish stuff I have ever answered :D I remember being there once too :wink1: .

15. 76blazerguy

16. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

If you drive on the street and your rear diff is welded your gonna be chirpin around every corner and its gonna wear your tires out quicker. Lockers disengage going around corners so that the outside wheel can turn faster then the wheel inside. So keep that in my mind.

17. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

as for welding, the number one reason I would avoid it is due to the fact that if done improperly (it is very hard to get a good surface, especially with all that gear lube residue), they'll break, leaving you stranded. I'd rather go with a spool

looks like the start of a good project, and I of course LOVE the color scheme :D Great shape!

First tip is not to go mud bogging with the roof off if your interior is in nice shape :haha:

Sounds like you don't have the Mile Marker conversion kit for your Blazer yet. That's the number one step for NP203's in my opinion- it adds locking hubs to your front axle (right now they are on flanges and the axles always turn). THis gets rid of the differential in the t-case and makes it operate like a part time t-case, saving you gas and making engagement positive.

I can't tell from the pics- is that done already?

Throw on some 32 or 33" mud tires for now (may need to trim an inch or two off the back of the front fender), and that will net you a LOT of traction. Stick with your stock rims and lift for now, and just build it as you break it. Work on driving skill rather than relying on the truck to get you through. You have to know how to pick the right line and know your vehicle's limits, etc. My advice is if you're going to upgrade, you might as well go straight to the best options, no sense half-assing it, so save up for the big toys and have fun with what you've got for now. I think your rig is ultra cool and I'd love to have it in my driveway

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

IMO, I would go welded or spool/mini spool. I didn't like the characteristics of a locker. I'm a simple guy, so I want to either know I'm locked, or open. For strength, I went mini-spool in my 14. The turning radius dropped, but not much, it handles different, sure, but after driving it like this for about a day, I was okay with it. The added plus of I ALWAYS KNOW how it's gonna act is worth it to me. Offroad, you can't beat it.

KP

19. 76blazerguy

thanks man it has manual locking hubs, i think they are warn hubs. I have just been doing mods to get it running good again so i havent touched the suspension or tires yet. It had been sitting in a barn for 20 years so i had to replace anything rubber. All the seals and belts, and the power steering and steering box have all been replaced other than that i put on a new intake, carb, exhaust and i just got some headers in the mail. Im planning on buying some tires and getting some cheap wheels in the next week or so. Then im gonna start on the suspension. But its all a learning process for me thats why im grateful to have you guys here!

20. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Just going back to the first post.......

Is your blazer going to see any pavement?

If you weld the rear, your blazer will want to push through a corner. Its like steering on ice with forward momentum.

If it were me, and I was planning on upgrading to 3/4 or 1 ton stuff and only going to run 35's or so, I'd weld it until it broke :D