Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded spiders on a 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Sep 29, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

OK, Who has welded the spiders in their front dana 44?
    What size tires do you run and what do you break and how often? Do you run trails or stay in the mud?
    I have 35's and would like to run a locker in the front but would rather not spend the money on d44 stuff. $aving $ for the elusive D60 seems like a better idea. So Iam considering welding the front.
    I don't mind changing shafts and am starting to get good at it, so if that is the weak link I'll deal with it. I am just concerned about other problems like steering. Will this beast even turn on the trail with the front welded? What else will(notice I say will not might ) I break. I know this is not the ideal solution but until I move to an ideal world where I have an ideal income, Is this the next best thing?

OH yeah, Any body want to trade a 14ff detroit for a d44 detroit? I'd much rather weld up my rear than my front.(I'll save on toilet paper!)

2. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 44 carrier sitting on the shelf that has been welded that I used back when I ran muddrags. I'd sell it to you cheap so you can see if that will work or not, that way you will still have your open one if you want/need to change back. Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

that is an idea
    I have a 10b front that has unknown gear in it. Will the 10b carrier interchange with a d44? probably not? What gear ratio do the carriers change size on a d44?

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You can not use the 10b carrier....

The break on the D44 is between 3.73 and 3.92....

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Nope can't use the 10 bolt one. The one I have used to have 4.10's if it will help.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I have a LockRight in the front (and the rear). It almost never unlocks. Sometimes it ratchets when a tire is severely unloaded or off the ground. The only time it unlocks otherwise is when I let off the accelerator and the only time I do that is if I have speed up and am coasting. Since chances are when you're turning you're on the accelerator it always locks. IE: I'm sure you'ved noticed with even open differentials in 4wd you buff off speed quickly when turning.

Steering effort is about 10x more than with an open differential. It takes about 3/8 of a turn of the steering wheel for the tires to turn and stay in that direction, if I turn it less than that it rebounds to where it was.

In 4wd my turning diameter is increased 8-9 feet. There is a ton of bind and you can see it in the dirt because both inside tires tear up the dirt pretty good.

However, the traction is incredible. There is nothing more cool than being able to hit a slippery log with both front tires at the same time and crawl over instead of one tire at a time with an open differential.

If you don't break the side gears from the welding then chances are you'll just break the shafts. They tend to break at the ears when you turn. If they don't break then they seem to bend. I haven't actually seen too many front ten bolt shafts break at the necked-down part other than in cases of shock loads (like a tire that is spinning getting instantaneous traction) so I suspect Dana 44 shafts don't usually break either. I'd say put some girly universals in and just change shafts when they break. Once you get the hang of it you can swap shafts in less than an hour if you don't clean the hubs.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I put a spool in a dana 44 front once with 36' tires both axle shafts lasted about 2 hours. I would not reccomend welding it.