Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded spiders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Feb 20, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

i have a 12 bolt and would like to weld the spiders in it before a 14 bolt goes in. my question is if that it is the same to weld the spiders on a 12 bolt as it is one a 14 bolt? said here http://coloradok5.com/welded14bolt.shtml

anybody ever run a 12 bolt welded any breakege problems? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    also is a welded rear act like a spool type rear end on the street? if so what charicterists?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just flat out wouldn't weld the spiders in the rear if it's your daily driver used more on road than off.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, just weld up the spider gears, yep acts just like a spool. No more differential action, inside and outside wheels spin at same rate so turing becomes an issue. If you want a cheap "spool" and dont drive on the street much try it. Probably best to do if mostly a trail vehicle like 4xcrazy suggested.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Its not a big deal, really. I run a detroit in a daily driver and know several people with welded rears on daily drivers.

5. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

how long do welded rear ends last?

yeah i know dumb question with welds could last 10 minutes or 10 years?

anybody run welded on 12 bolt any problems?

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have been running my rear welded for about a year and except for accelerated tire wear and chirping through tight turns I have no problems. I have towed a Jeep with it, I have towed a trailer with it and it's my daily driver also. To make it strong you need to weld the spiders and then weld them to the carrier, welding the spiders alone is not strong enough. If you are decided on the 14 bolt swap later just weld the 12 bolt and have fun until it breaks. If you don't wheel it to hard and just want some extra traction you should consider a lock-right, they are cheap and plenty strong for a 12 bolt.

7. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

how much power you running to those welded spiders?