Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welded spring perches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Feb 14, 2003.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 88 k5 38 and 8 inchs of lift and i hate that they hit the fenders. I was thinking of welding 2 inchs to the spring perches I am a mechanic and a fabricator so the work isn't a problem what so you think. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done at about 2-3 inches, and at around 6 inches. The 6 inch spring perches looked stupid. (Not to mention the guy who did it used a torch and had no idea how to run a bead. It looked like lift blocks. The 2-3 inch setup looked pretty good. Unless I was under the truck I would have thought they just had a set of zero rates under there. He had easy ride springs and didn't want to give up the flexibility but needed a couple of more inches to run with no sway bar. Still running after a lot of abuse. (everything else has broken on his truck)

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

No, no, and no.
    I dislike body lifts, but I would rather see you put a 2" body lift than to make the mounts two inches taller.

You can trim the fenders.
    You can lift the front 1" with an ORD zero rate. Also get some HD front srping hangers and they can give you between 1/4 and 1" lift.
    For the rear, you can go with a block, if you don't have one now. If you have a 4" block already, you could go with the Echobit shackle flip and remove the block which would raise you about 1 1/4" over where the 4" block put you. Then you could use a 1" zero rate to raise the rear the extra 1"

I think welding tall spring perches for any significant height gain is not the way to go.
    -- Mike

4. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

stupid qestion whats a zero rate ????
    8 inch superlift all the way around no blocks

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You can get them from either of these two places:

Offroad Design

A-tron

Also do a search here on ck5 and there will be lots of info about them. I use the A-tron ones for the rear and they are excellent.
    -- Mike

6. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

Do you run any bumpstops extensions? Did you trim the fenders? Both are necassary if you really want to run tires bigger then 33's. The arch of the wheel openings is just to small to allow bigger tires to tuck in. I trimmed for 37's and 4" lift worked great and didnt require a whole lot of trimming.