Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder cheap for newbie

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by dabears73k5, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dabears73k5

dabears73k5 Registered Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Ok, i want to do the rock slider replacement of bad rockers with the square tubing. and patch a couple of rust holes in the floor board. I plan on possibly making a front and rear bumper in the future but i was curious on what type and/or models would u recommend. I only want to spend 300.00-350.00 at the most on welder and would prefer to stay in the 110v range. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    Any of the 110 volt welders would probably do the job for you. About 6 or 7 years ago i bought an 80 amp Campbell Hausfeld 110 volt welder and used it to do all my rust repair etc etc. It was about $250 at the time, and doesn't hold a candle to the Millermatic 135 I just got. The Miller was more than double the money though.

At the time it was what I could afford...and ideally I would have just got the Miller right away, but the CH did the job.

If you can, try and buy yourself a Lincoln or Miller. They're much better quality and will frustrate you a lot less.

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Jun 9, 2004
    miller 135 is a great machine. save your pennies and be willing to spend a bit more. you will be glad you did. shop for deals online. cyberweld.com has good deals with specials all the time. they had the best price on the plasma cutter I want to buy.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I saw a 110V Cambpell Hausfeild Mig Welder at Pep Boys the other day--I think it was only 200 bucks!..not sure if they work good or not--I never had much luck welding with the 110V Mig's,but the 220V ones worked very well...I also saw some cheesy 110V arc welders--I'd pass on those,I had one,it sucked--couldn't even get arc struck with it unless you used the "special" rods it came with,and more were costly!..

It might be wise to wait and get a "name brand" one like a Lincoln or Miller,Hobart,etc..I see used ones on Craigslist often for 100-200 bucks,and Lowe's and Home Depot sell them too..if you have a credit card,you could use it while your paying for it..I've found it fairly easy to make a welder and torches pay for themselves by doing welding on other people's rotboxes or projects myself..I made 100 bucks welding a rotted Jeep frame up last sunday,in about 8 hours ...:D --and I used THEIR arc welder!..:laugh: